Jeep needs help... 8(

Super6XJ

ok.. well my jeep is in need of help!
i get oil in my Air box.
Meaning... my throttle body is throwning up oil..
I dont know why?
When i drive, i cant go anywhere fast... i push the gas pedal.. and nothing .. i hear popping noise,
do you think it can be a EGR valve??
Cause as of now i dont think its opening..

Assuming you have the straight 6 engine, pull the back breather elbow off of the top of the engine. Be gentle with it, it is plastic, and can snap. It will twist, and then pop right off. Blow that out, blowing from the elbow part. Chances are, the tiny little hole at the bottom is clogged with crap. Pretty common cause of the oil in the airbox thing, we just had to perform this on my buddy's '93 Cherokee... I can't say that it'll cure all that ails you, but it should stop the oil blowback, and you'll see improved performance...

Hope this helps.

Thats what i thought at First.. so i went to Autozone. and they told me.. My jeep don't need one..
I wish it had a PCV valve so i can fix it at no cost..

1988 Cherokee W/ 97 I6 4.0

yup it has a PCV. my 96 XJ did so tyhe 97 engine will definitly

give autozone the engine number.

yup it has a PCV. my 96 XJ did so tyhe 97 engine will definitly

give autozone the engine number.

Neither have PCV, both have CCV (closed crankcase ventilation). Meaning they have a hose at the back of the valve cover similar to PCV but no PCV valve. Just a 90º plastic elbow at the valve cover.

Oil in the airbox is generally caused by a clogged CCV system.

Find the line that runs from the valve cover to the airbox. Pull the end off the airbox with the engine running and that hose should be sucking fresh air into the valve cover from the airbox.

If air is being pushed out of the valve cover, find the vacuum line from the valve cover to the intake manifold. This is the other half of the CCV and is how the engine is supposed to burn the crankcase vapors. Pull the end of the hose from the valve cover and check for vacuum sucking into the intake manifold. If no vacuum, it's obstructed. Most of these hoses have an inline restriction orifice that easily clogs with carbon. It looks like a plastic hose splice but pull it apart and clean it. I use a straightened paper clip.

Neither have PCV, both have CCV (closed crankcase ventilation). Meaning they have a hose at the back of the valve cover similar to PCV but no PCV valve. Just a 90º plastic elbow at the valve cover.

Oil in the airbox is generally caused by a clogged CCV system.

Find the line that runs from the valve cover to the airbox. Pull the end off the airbox with the engine running and that hose should be sucking fresh air into the valve cover from the airbox.

If air is being pushed out of the valve cover, find the vacuum line from the valve cover to the intake manifold. This is the other half of the CCV and is how the engine is supposed to burn the crankcase vapors. Pull the end of the hose from the valve cover and check for vacuum sucking into the intake manifold. If no vacuum, it's obstructed. Most of these hoses have an inline restriction orifice that easily clogs with carbon. It looks like a plastic hose splice but pull it apart and clean it. I use a straightened paper clip.

i think this is where american english and 'proper' english is getting us confused.

over here its called PCV as it sucks it out of the engine ( positive ventilation)

Im agree with all the other stuff though. and yes do be careful pulling the things apart , i broke the tiny bore pipe from the rear to the manifold and it cost me £17 ( $35) for the bit i needed. it didn't solve the problem I was trying to cure but the Jeep ran better after.:shades:

Well i Cleaned All those Parts... didn't Help Much..
I think i might have to Buy a New EGR Valve..
Might, Might not.. or just take it somewhere so they can look at it,
I am all out of ideas..
Thanks For all the Help..

i think this is where american english and 'proper' english is getting us confused.

Nah, it's what the manufacturer calls it. Older models did have PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and actually had a PCV valve. Newer models have CCV (closed crankcase ventilation). Doesn't matter which language you speak.

PCV and CCV ARE two different things, not two different ways of stating the same thing.

OK about this issue.. i cleaed my Throttle Body really good.. and.. it Ran a lil better.. but then it started to POP! Again..
I'm going to Record a Video about this.. in the Video you shoudl hear the Noises it makes.. etc.
This will be my Last Try to fix it myself.. if not.. i;m gonna have to take it somewhere.. just hope i can get it fixed Before Warped tour..

Back