jeep stals at stops

gonzo891

my jeep will fire right up and drive nice but as soon as i stop it spits and sputters then stalls out it is geting to be kindaa pain in that ass so anythelp would be great[addsig]

I had an old YJ and same thing would happent to me. It helped if I held the gas in a little bit, but that getting to be a big pain. So I adjusted the throttle cable thing so it was always giving a little gas....just enough to make it not stall. I dunno if this helps, but it might be worth a shot...check by holdin the gas a little[addsig]

Setting the idle up will help, but is not a good permanent fix. Probably need a new carb or a rebuild. Check for vacuum leaks as well.[addsig]

Auto or 5 spd? My mom had a old Chevy stationwagon years ago, it had a electronic throttle kickdown for the transmission, and would stall at stops because the motor was essentially not going into first.[addsig]

Just a shot here ... Let me Guess you have a 83-89 258 with a stock carb(rodchester ?) You have between 50-75k since last rebuild of the carb. Your gas milage seems ok but not what it was 6-9 months ago. does any of this sound familiar? your carb needs to be rebuilt as the thing is all gummed up in the back. You can remove the wire plug and pull the plunger out to clean it to buy some time. but I would recommend spending the $20 for the kit and $10 for a 1 gal can of part cleaner. then take it off and let it soak, rebuild and put it back on as good as new. good luck its really easy about 1hour is all you need.[addsig]

gonzo891 - where are you with this problem, have you fixed her?

blue[addsig]

Back