Jeep Virgin about to take the plunge

I would make the suggestion you would be very wise to stick with a 1991 & UP 6 cylinder Wrangler. You don't want to mess with a carb on early model Wranglers, especially if the state is doing smog checks where you live. Stay away from 1987-1990 4.2L 6 cylinder powered models if you can. Guaranteed in the long run you will be MUCH HAPPIER if you have the 6 cylinder multi-port fuel injected 4.0L H.O. engine that came in 1991-2006 Wranglers regardless of transmission.

RangerRick

I found one I like...and in budget. I may be getting a job offer tomorrow...which means hubby and I sharing one vehicle right now is not going to work...so no real time to get my budget up. I can do $5500 right now.

Okay...it is a 4 cyl....but considering I don't do freeways that much, and it won't leave the pavement...any real worries with that? I can not find a 6 cyl that isn't $10k plus or totally jacked up.

It is $4900, but been at that for a month with no bites so I am going to start lower. Here is the ad: 1997 jeep wrangler

Very high miles....so that is the only thing that really has me concerned.
The owner is calling me in an hour.

Any advice?

Wow - must of just popped upNo number but I replied through email. Why would one so new be so cheap? he didn't give many details...

the high mileage one looks good. the mileage wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as long as he can explain why the miles are so high. like if he is a construction company foreman and drove all over hte states to cheack jobs or owns a moving company and that was his company vehicle. i have bought vehicles like that andthey were fine vehicles. i think that dark blue high miles one might be a good choice as long as it checks out on everything else.

the guy said he was going to call me but didn't. I will try again.

What do you think a reasonable first offer would be? He is asking 4900.

Thanks!

I bought our 97 two years ago with 142k on it, very clean in and out, 4-banger automatic, used car lot was asking $4500 and I paid $4200 as I recall.

I passed on the blue 97 jeep, but there was another one that I was interested in but it sold before I got there. He sells Jeeps exclusively...said he would call when he got something in that fit my budget.

Well, I test drove one last night that I have decided to get. It is an 88, so carb, no fuel injection. I am not too sure how I feel about that or who's opinion to take on it...but here are all the plusses:

6 cyl.
All less than 1500 miles ago:
Rebuilt engine
New AX-15 transmission 5 speed
New carb
New alternator
New radiator
New water pump
New starter

10 Years ago put in marine vinyl seats that look brand new
He has had it since 1990, no offroading, well maintained. He hadn't planned on selling it, but got good deal from a friend who was selling a newer one.

And it looks really good for a 23 year old jeep. has some bumps and bruises but nothing major and a paint job from macco would make this thing look brand new.

It needs a top, and floor liner. But other than that it is in great shape. This thng was really nimble and smooth too. Very different from most of the ones I have driven or rode in.

He wanted $4700, but agrees to $4000 since I will have to buy a new top with hardware.

Oh, and it is Yellow!

Watcha think?

sweeeeettt!!!!!!! i like my 87

i am glad you are happy with what you got. the fuel injection is very cool and stuff but your carb will be fine too, as cars were since they came out until the 80s when most people went fuel injection.

Thank you, Jason!
He told my dad on the phone that he wanted to make absolutely sure I really wanted it, so I said, yeah I better sleep on it. the whole way home I kept thinking of the negatives and the reality of driving a Jeep e-v-e-r-y-d-a-y for the next 6 months to a year, - no power locks/window, no alarm, no air conditioning, it's old, it's rough, it's a Jeep! Then this morning when I woke up...my first thoughts were "Damn, I wish I could drive it again." So, that told me what I wanted to do. I called him this morning and told him I wanted it.

When I rode in it with him driving it, I looked back at hubby (who is not a jeep fan) who was in the back seat and he had a huge smile plastered across his face. I asked what he thought and replied very exuberantly that I should get it....so I am glad he likes it too.

I did have a hard time with shifting...the pattern was so tight and the clutch had to be in it's perfect sweet spot to engage...but thirty minutes in a parking lot and I am sure I will be fine with it. He is going to bring it to me at home so I don't have to worry about driving it home right away in the dark. Gotta make room in the garage until I get a top.

All the yellow jeeps I see have black tops....but how do you think tan/spice colored top would look? The seats are tan.

I told hubby I wanted to get personalized plates....MLW YLW...or just MELLOW :)

i have seen them with tan tops and it looks fine. and i think the license plate idea is great, MLW YLW, perfect. that is mine too, i have a euro licnse plate i had custom made for an old bmw i used to drive and it fits my 87 wrangler too, slo-ride. (from a song also)

Slo-ride is perfect for a jeep.

I am exited...scared, but excited!

don't worry, you'll love it.

there is a hard top here in corpus christi for 400 on craigslist right now. its from a 95 and is the last year that will fit your jeep. they are kind of hard to find and usually expensive but 400 is pretty good for a clean hardtop. the only trouble is its black.

don't forget to get a photobucket free account and load some pictures.

here is my 87 laredo model wrangler

DSC04640-1.jpg

20110924150050_PortAransas_Texas_US-1.jpg

8315d5ba-1.jpg

i put a newer style roll bar from a 95 into my 87 because i wanted the back seats covered since i have two boys

Back