Jeep Virgin about to take the plunge

Check up here in College Station. They always got Jeeps up here for sale and cheap. Most of the time its Jeeps that parents have bought for their kids and now they just want to get rid of it. I got a real good deal on mine. Either the guy didn't know what he had or just didn't care and wanted it gone.

Amity said:
Slo-ride is perfect for a jeep.

I am exited...scared, but excited!

Congrats on the new jeep!
Nothing to be scared of;-) ... (Except that your husband will become a jeep fan and you will have to hide your keys)

Slo-ride sums it up...
My husband (a non-jeeper) calls my 89
"the red snail"...

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Definatly look for a fuel injected year. I sold my 95 yj automatic which was fuel injected.I drove it everywhere and at 168000 miles never doubted its reliability. I loved it never a problem! but it was gutless with the AC on. Sold it and purchased an 87 yj 4.2 carb for the 6cyl full doors and a hardtop. I like many older drivers grew up with everything carb'd .I like my 87 but it has its limitations .
I am saving for an FI unit now.
Good luck-- Lots of good clean used jeeps in So Cal but you will pay more here.

Thanks everyone!

It is Mine! sitting in my driveway as I write this. The seller was a really great guy. He drove it to me even though he lives on the other side of town so I didn't have to drive it all the way home in the dark without being fully comfortable with it. He spent some time going over it with me, and even filled the tank right before he got here. When I paid him the 4k, he handed me $500 back and said use this for the new top. I was speechless. :shock: I already felt like I was getting it too cheap..now I felt like I was stealing the thing. He said you two are really good people and I want someone that I know who will enjoy and take care of it to have it. :redface: Ahh. I had to give him a big hug for all that.

I drove it around the block twice and had that clutch down. Then taught hubby...who is not good with sticks. He said I look good in it...younger. Ha! I'm only 32 and most think I am 25. It's too cold to drive it right now open air...so waiting on new top to come in before I start driving it to work.

I am also in the next month or so replacing the steering wheel (is that really tricky?) pedal covers, new overhead roll bar speakers, and putting in a full floor liner. Gotta put in new seatbelts too. Down the road at some point I want to switch out the half doors for full factory doors ( I hate the window zipper crap - but half doors are nice for going topless, so I will keep them), and get a new paint job....keeping the same color. Ugh...it never ends does it?

Thanks everyone...I am so glad I had you all for a sounding bar and for the feedback. Pics coming with next post.

dang, thats great for you. don't forget that hardtop is right down the road from you here in corpus. you guys could throw on a jacket and head down here, grab the top, have lunch or dinner with my wife and i, and hten head home with a hard top on and really warm interior.

That is a good deal on a hard top...but I really want a soft top. However, the offer to come to Corpus and have lunch someday sounds like a plan. You have been a big help in my figuring all this out.

But, now the problem. I heard some belt squeeling last night and checked it today in the daylight....changing the belts in this thing should be pretty easy, right?

Yes, as easy as a good old v8 from the 70s

C'mon now.. Too cold to go topless??
Girl, I am way older than you (and I know it can't be that much colder in Houston than it is here in San Antonio) and for me, this is perfect weather for going topless in Texas!!
Seriously, SuperJ is totally correct ( as he always seems to be) when he says to just throw on a jacket....
That's what the center console is for...to store all of the "layers" of clothing you may need... And gloves/hat if it gets really cold!
Oh, and a long raincoat.. just in case !
If need be, you can always crank up the heater!!!!!!

Wonder how long you can resist ... ????
That lonely Little yellow jeep... Sitting there ...Just Waiting to be driven....

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

You gotta go out with it wearing a jacket and smiling from ear to ear. We're in the low 40's to high 30's here in Northern California and I still don't have the top on.

houston just seems colder then san antonio. i lived in sa while i went to college and was always doing christmas and thanksgiving in houston when i was a kid and houston just feels colder. i guess its the tall buildings and being in the eastern part of the state with lots of trees. san antonio is just like a big corpus, to me

hi everyone!

My sister (who hates Jeeps) came by today and took her for a ride...now likes. Everyone in the neighborhood has been stopping by to talk about it....I forgot how many Jeeps are on my block.....I counted five today...including my neighbor. It not that cold during the day...but mornings are pretty cold.

Talk to u later!

Congrats!!!

Bestop is probably the best soft top but costs a little more. I got the top-of-the-line sailcloth top because it gets cold and snows here, in TX you would probably be okay with a regular canvas top. You will need to get their Supertop if you need the hardware too, it comes with it. I believe that Pavement Ends is Bestop's bargain brand, but it is okay stuff. There are what is called bikini tops that just go between the windshield and rollbar, consider that with the heat and sun in TX. Due to ever-increasing amounts of baldness, I don't put the whole roof down very often but I take the windows out a lot. Although really it's my daughter's ride I'll swipe it when she's not looking.

Check eBay, Craig's List, local junkyards, for full doors if you want them. Ours has full doors with crank windows, definitely a plus for winter. If you get the whole thing painted you can get both sets of doors painted at the same time so they match well. I had a full repaint done on ours, bodywork was minimal but they installed two new front fenders that I purchased, it cost $2000 but that was first-class work at a pro shop whose quality I know. Could've had a cheaper job done for half but I'm picky that way. Don't forget that if you take the doors off you probably still need mirrors to be legal. There are mirror kits that bolt to the windshield hinges, I just got a stick-on convex mirror and attach it to the windshield frame with velcro. Total cost $5, may or may not be legal but I can see with it.

4wd.com has all kinds of stuff.

Just for the record, the snow here was over 2' deep, I cleaned off the windows, shifted into 4wd, and drove it right out.

image-missing.png

With new top, I got the tinted window option:

image-missing.png

Last edited:

Hey amity, there is a guy in Donna parting a 93 wrangler. I talked to him yesterday and he said the soft top with all hardware and brackets for 200. His bestop bikini top for 45. His doors for 100. You could probably get the family roll bar for 50 bucks too and have everything on your list, and some.

Check Craigslist for McAllen as done is one or two small towns over from mcallen

Thanks Jason. I keep checking looking for stuff on CL...no luck yet on a top or doors. It has a bikini top on it now...so that helps.

I spent all weekend scrubbing it down. The seats were really grimmy..but being that marine vinyl it came as clean as new with some elbow grease and majic erasers....(god blass the person who invented those) Armorall the dash and the seats. Found one small crack in it on top, but nother major. The spare is rotten....so need to go get one of the front tires replacesd and use the old one as the spare. I don't like the brakes...so getting those checked.

I have a question....I am going to put Lizard Skin spray-in lining in it before putting down new rubber mat(family member works for company that makes it).....would pressure washing the tub be enough to get the old cracked and peeling liner out of there...or will it need more than that? sandblasting? Also, the seat brackets are pretty rusty...not sure I can remove them. Can I do anything to them to clean it up and stop rusting? spray the brackets with the liner too? spray paint with some rustoleum? Replace $$?

Thanks!

Johnny, jeep looks awesome. Definately plan to keep the half doors and paint as well. They are the original, so definately want to keep them with it. Want to replace the inside panel though.

I wish we had snow like that!

i have no idea on any of your questions but the seat brackets. you can replace them but if they are rusty, i know the bolts are rusty so you might end up drilling those out.

when i was in the military, i was at fort benning ga. we had snow every year i was there, 3 total. i never want to live in snow again. houston gets snow regularly, doesn't it? i know corpus got its 100 year snow a few years ago so we are done for a while.

We usually get a light dusting once every 3-4 years..if that. I went to Wisconsin in December last year in the middle of a blizzard for surgery....I loved it up there.

Here it is.....hubby has dubbed it old Yeller.

OldYeller-1.jpg

i have no idea on any of your questions but the seat brackets. you can replace them but if they are rusty, i know the bolts are rusty so you might end up drilling those out.

when i was in the military, i was at fort benning ga. we had snow every year i was there, 3 total. i never want to live in snow again. houston gets snow regularly, doesn't it? i know corpus got its 100 year snow a few years ago so we are done for a while.

Last edited:

looks good!!!

is that you in the avatar?

Back