Jeep was cutting out at high speed, read how I fixed it !!!!

jackal

I checked the Fuel pump (pressure and volume), done a tune-up( plugs ,wires ,cap) that was needed anyway. I was ready to change out the timing chain and gears, there was a little slack ,but not that much. At highway speeds the jeep would cut out, spit and sputter, and act as if it was running out of gas. I had drilled the gas cap to make sure of ventilitation. Sometimes I would just hold the throtttle in a certain spot and it would run like water was in the gas. Then it would backfire out the exhaust, and run ok. I remembered that a few times it would click when I tried to start it, and when I checked the solenoid would not engage the starter. When I jumped across the starter cables with pliers it would turn over. Well, I changed the starter solenoid and this hasn't happened since. When it would cut-out , it acted as if someone turned the key off and then back on. Everything electric goes through the solenoid on this jeep, 78 CJ7. So I believe this was the problem all along. I have never run into this before, but all I have ever owned is Chevys, so maybe you Ford guys are familiar with this. I hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks for reading,

Jackal
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back