Jeep Winch, not my wife.

A discussion on another board:

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?threadid=92300

I'm guessing it's as Asian (aka: Chinese) made winch like the one I got off eBay. They're alright for occasional winching - quite slow, but they work. If you're planning on doing a lot of winching (trail riding with a group, for example), you're probably better off bucking-up for a Warn.

spend the little extra and buy one made here.

I know a guy from work with bum hand where one of the made in china jobs blew up on him, the case just exploded and shrapnel got his hand pretty bad.

If you want to take a look at one in real life, just head off to your local Cosco. they sell that winch there.

Ive been left stranded with a cheapo. used it to get in, and was counting on it to get out. went home and bought a warn. If you watch the ads you can get one pretty reasonable. 4 Wheel Parts had my m8000 for $595.

You sorta need to think deeply about your winching needs. If you buck-up for a Warn, you will be satisfied, no matter what. They are expensive, but for good reason - you pay money for quality. You can get the asians ones much cheaper, but reliability will always be a question mark. I've had mine for a few years now and I'm starting to have some electrical issues.........but it still works. If need be, it'll get me out. But I don't do a whole lotta winching. If I did, I'm quite sure this thing would already be shot. It's always about the $$$$ (at least with me)..........and how much you're planning on winching. I won't tell you not to buy it.....that's a pretty good price! But don't expect to winch a bunch of people (including yourself) our very quickly or very often. Just my two bits..............My "Duke" is still in service........but I often wish I would have bought a Warn.

If anyone has ever seen pictures of lower 2 at Tellico, they know what I'm talking about when I say this. A couple years ago I went on lower 2 and was not prepared. Long story short, I winched almost constantly to get up it, I'm talking twice I had to spool my 125 feet all the way till the last 3 wraps on the drum to get out of there. It was wet, slick and nasty, and it's uphill the entire way. I wouldn't have wanted a China winch in that spot.

If anyone has ever seen pictures of lower 2 at Tellico, they know what I'm talking about when I say this. A couple years ago I went on lower 2 and was not prepared. Long story short, I winched almost constantly to get up it, I'm talking twice I had to spool my 125 feet all the way till the last 3 wraps on the drum to get out of there. It was wet, slick and nasty, and it's uphill the entire way. I wouldn't have wanted a China winch in that spot.

My point exactly!!!! Seriously consider your winching requirements!!!

I don't have much time do much offroading the way it is, but would like something dependable when I do need it. Always thinking of the boy scout motto. But, I guess I will have to wait awhile since deer season is coming up and am looking for a new rifle. Man, I need to win the Lottery. LOL Thanks for the advice though.

I had the Tabor 5K as my first winch. It was also an occasional use winch. I did not expect to use it much.

One fourth of July weekend, I grabbed the dog and the Mighty YJ and headed out to have some back-country fun. I ended up on a Quad path and lost some footing on the passenger side. I set the lockers and tried again. I got some locker slip and went further off trail. I hooked up the winch to a friendly tree nearby and was most disappointed when all I got out of it was a loud "Click." Good thing I was in cell phone range.

When I got out of that situation after a night in the woods...

I got my Warn xd9000i. I have been satisfied with that for several years now. As with most winch owners, I don't use it for myself half as much as I assist others. It has been a very satisfying purchase!

(At least it was more more intelligent a decision than following that narrow trail)...

Man, it's good to hear some opinions, as I am planning on getting a whinch (well, maybe not THIS year, but most likely NEXT YEAR) and I do want it to work when I need it!

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/general/listing.cfm?articleID=353

Follow that link to read about a test done with brand-name winches, by MoabJeeper Magazine. Those that finished: Warn (expected), SuperWinch, and Chicago Electric (unexpected). Look over the tests, see the results and comments, and decide for yourself.

Personally, I'm looking at getting a SuperWinch, 9000 or 9500 lbs. capacity, integrated solenoid. Once some other projects are taken care of, expect to see one of those in front of my YJ's grille 8)

ALSO: For a SLEW of information regarding recovery winching, follow this link: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html EVERYONE that visits this site can benefit from the information presented at that link. It's lengthy, but well worth the investment of time to read it all. Be a better informed Jeeper! (The Tech Section of Pirate4x4.com is a great resource)

Warn or Ramsey. That winch doesn't even advertise it's amperage rating, and there is a good reason for that. It would be very slow and if you had a situation when you needed it more than once it could and probably would burn up. Then they wouldn't warranty it because it is an "occasional use" winch.

You can gamble on it, and it might work for what you need it to, but if it fails (which those China winches are known for) you'll remember this thread ;)

Used my xd9000i over the weekend. Once on someone else and once to pull my puckered butt up and over the nastiest hill in Hot Springs, Impossible. Made it last year, but the last ledge was two feet taller this year. Jeeps and buggies were 0 for 6.
Bottom line: the winch comes out when your'e in bad trouble. Get one you can trust.

I drove the Devil's Punchbowl, a shelf road on Schofield Pass. It has been notorious for difficult obstacles as well as a narrow road. It has been sissified, though. No real problems anywhere along the length.

No winch needed. I had one though.

Oh Yeah... Fall colors starting to show up in the higher elevations by Aspen and Crested Butte, Colorado...

Back