LED Tail Light Convertion

happy024

I and going to be going with 2- 2x6 oval lights on each side. What I would like to do is have 1 of the 2 be only brake and driving light , and the other do all turn, drive and brake. Any suggestions on the wiring of that.

And when doing the LED convertion I will loose the back up lights and License plate light. I think I will get the KC back up light kit and make a bracket to come off the back of the spare tire to mount them on to.
And for the licence plate still looking for a light that will mount on top of the plate assembly becuase I won't have enough room under the tail lights to mount one, and still look good. any suggestion or advice would be great.

thanks

I dont think they will fit in the fender well. Might want to check on this first. buddy did one 2x6 per side, looks good but 2 is tight.

most L.E.D. lights i have put in have had at least 2 curcuits in it get one that comes with wires and or a connection to it already. you will need to do the back p lights and licence plate light too

they do make stud/bullet lights for the plate. the same bolt that holds the plate in place had a super bright LED in the bullet shaped head. work great.

I did an LED tail light conversion with 4" round ones. There's very little room inbetween the top of the gas filler and the top of the rear wheel well. With my 4" ones after drilling the hole there was mabye 1/8" on either side. I don't know how you're gonna fit two 2" wide ones along with the rubber grommets in there (unless they're not going to be placed one on top of the other). Drill too far up and you'll be cutting into your wheel well then you'll be screwed. As for using one set only for brake and tail light, you'll probably have to rewire it so it doesn't run through your signal flasher since the brake/signal/lights all run through one wire.

Last edited:

Here is how I did mine, although I used custom 1"x4" L.E.D.s. (the same type street rodders use) Wiring is pretty straight forward. I reused the plugs from the original lights to connect back to the circuit feeds. The only difference is the backup lights need to be rerouted. If you are using any light that draws more than 10 amps for backup you need to use a relay circuit to control them. To make one of the red L.E.D.s into brake only use the third brake light circuit to operate it instead of the one from the normal connector. Keep in mind this circuit is not related to any flasher circuit(ie turn or 4 way) and will not flash with either operated. Don't forget to solder and heat shrink connections.;)

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Yep after pulling the lights off to look a bit more I may bite more off than I can chew with trying the duall set up. But if anything I will still try and make it work. I'll post pics of the "operation"

do you have a picture of what you're going for in the end? i'm having kind of a hard time visualizing it. what's wrong with the classic 4" round LEDs? its clean and classy lookin.

Here is what I would like it end up like. Proportions might be a little of but i think you'll get the idea

Taillightmockup-3.jpg

Attachments

• Tail-light-mock-up.jpg
    Tail-light-mock-up.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,972
you will loose your back up lights, I got some cheapo NAPA tractor lights and wires them up, work the nutz. I only use a single 4" LED and it is park/brake/directional.. the wiring is very straight forward, the only thing you will need to add is a Ground. your factory lights are grounded through the lights chassis.

I will see if I can find a pic.

By looking at that picture above, the top LED is probably cut into the top of the fender on the inside of the jeep. He either screwed up or planned it that way and had a fix for the inside of the jeep.

well after finally getting in the LED lights and doing some investigating everyone has been proven right. (not that I didn't think everyone was right)
My initial measurements didn't take into account the hang over off the grommet on the outside. The measurements I was putting into the design was just the cutting size. (measure twice cut once) So I am going to go with just one on each side. Simple is usually better. And am going to go with the KC back up light kit that has all the necessary relay and wiring in box to tap into stock wiring. And go with the bullet style licence plate lights that someone had suggested. Thanks for all the help everyone. I will post some pics when done.

Back