lift help!

mercab18

i'm looking to put in a new lift into my 97 TJ. i plan to buy this lift: 4x4ROCKSHOP.com - (877) 4x4-ROCK for my initial 4" lift, but then i also want to do a 2" body lift.

i was hoping someone could give me some information about where to get a good body lift. i spoke to my mechanic friend and he said i should get some brake line extensions and to make sure to look for a good bracket for the transfer case linkage? i'm not 100% sure what that means, but he said if i didn't get a good one it would be tough to switch into 4wd...

if someone could help me that would be awesome. thanks everyone 8)

I would stay away from the 2" body lift; in my opinion, more than 1" is excessive... Now, for a 1" lift, you can always go the NHL way (and I see that you are a hockey fan), which is probably the cheapest body lift available!

the transfer case bracket is used to adjust your linkage when you lift the body. the linkage is attached to the body so when you lift it you put it in a bind. yeah i would stay away from a big body lift also, and if you just do one inch it will be a lot easier to install.( no transfer case bracket or radiator drops). i think rough country makes an 1 1/4 that i see sometimees in 4x4 magazines. i put that exact suspsension lift on my last jeep. it wasnt to bad but i suggest soaking every bolt in some type of penetrating fluid before you start and chances are you will still break at least on bolt on a 97. good luck

does anyone know if the kit that i was talking about earlier has a good relocation bracket? my mechanic told me this...

"see if they can tell you what provisions it has for the transfer case linkage ie. a relocation bracket since the lifts will throw it outta adjustment and the relocation bracket will make it easier to adjust"

i'm not exactly sure what he means by it and whether or not the kit has one.

also, i need to get extended brake lines. any suggestions as to how much of an extension i should get? is a certain brand better? how much should i spend?

thanks for everyone's help, i don't know what i would do without this forum

i already have a 2" coil spacer lift installed. is there any way i could instead of adding a 1.5" body lift just add the 4" suspension lift to the 2" coil spacers to get a 6" lift?

sorry, i'm trying to learn all this stuff and this is the best way to find the best answers.

thanks for everyone's help!

What size tires are you going to run? If your TJ is the one pictured in your avitar then you do not need 6" of total lift. It will look silly with small tires and a tall lift. I have 6" of lift and I can clear my 39" tires. I concur 1" body lift max, and as far as the relocation bracket, that was answered in post #3, the lift in your link does not have a relocation bracket because it is not a body lift kit. Also IMO when you get into 4" and higher lifts it is good to have adjustable suspension links, the rought country kit does not have them.

Last edited:

Here's a little help from an ex- New Yorker from Auburn. Start reading posts regarding lifts on real jeep sites. I have an awesome jeep. I have a 4.5 Rubicon Express lift with a Rubicon Express 1 inch body lift. Fools go over 1 inch because of the shear factor. Hit something in an accident and your tub will continue to travel. If you're thinking that your jeep is just a street queen, it will still shear on severe impact. Far less of a chance with the trusted 1 inch body puck. My advice on going with a 6 inch suspension lift would be a long arm kit. You know, you get some more lift with the new tires that you'll need for the lift. If you stay with small tires, what a wobble you'll have! Somebody on this forum said that it costs alot when you start modifying a suspension and believe me, I agree. BTW, once you add more weight to the wheel assmblies, you'll need better gearing to move the jeep. Do some reading and listen to advice from jeepers. I'd like to say something else, I'm a retired wrench and after moving to the NW, I learned alot from offroad wrenches who knew more than me because they grow up offroading out West. I thank every one of them for their valuable advice as I wheel my TJ! Enough said....

Back