lockers on a YJ

TwistedCopper said:
wrangler4meplease said:
I haven't palyed around too much in trails or the snow, I don' t go alone If I go I go with my brother & his 1/2 ton chev & his quad. I don't plan on rock crawling or anything, I use this for daily driving too. Moab & stuff like that would be cool but It wouldn't be in my daily driver
That being the case, you need to weigh if a traction device like a locker or a limited slip is worth the investment. I would definately think a limited slip would be a better choice for a daily driver that sees only light trails if you decide to get one, but they will be more expensive than the lunchbox type lockers Bounty Hunter mentioned (installation cost would be higher, not necessarily the unit itself).

What kind of tires are you running? I would address that before even considering a traction device if you have street tires. Even some all terrain tires can make a difference over... say... stock Goodyear GSA's. Even better, many of the newer mud terrain tires wear alot better and are quiter than in the past and the difference will be night and day. If you already have good tread and want more traction then try a LS. If not, get some good meat under that Jeep and go from there.

wrangler4meplease said:
TwistedCopper said:
wrangler4meplease said:
I haven't palyed around too much in trails or the snow, I don' t go alone If I go I go with my brother & his 1/2 ton chev & his quad. I don't plan on rock crawling or anything, I use this for daily driving too. Moab & stuff like that would be cool but It wouldn't be in my daily driver
That being the case, you need to weigh if a traction device like a locker or a limited slip is worth the investment. I would definately think a limited slip would be a better choice for a daily driver that sees only light trails if you decide to get one, but they will be more expensive than the lunchbox type lockers Bounty Hunter mentioned (installation cost would be higher, not necessarily the unit itself).

What kind of tires are you running? I would address that before even considering a traction device if you have street tires. Even some all terrain tires can make a difference over... say... stock Goodyear GSA's. Even better, many of the newer mud terrain tires wear alot better and are quiter than in the past and the difference will be night and day. If you already have good tread and want more traction then try a LS. If not, get some good meat under that Jeep and go from there.

30" all terrain tires, no lift

Lift and tires man!!!! Lift and tires.
How are four little car tires spinning helplessly in the mud any better than two?

That is what I was getting at. All terrain as in what all-terrain tires? Some AT's are not too bad, but some are all but worthless offroad - and although most are terrible, the few better ones are at best marginal in the mud.

Like I said, there are some decent, streetable mud terrain tires out there that will make a big difference. You could buy a set for what a good locker or LS would cost installed.

Getting a locker while having ineffective tires for the trails is putting the cart before the horse. You really don't even need a lift to be able to play around offroad, but you'll have obvious limitations and eventually you will work your way to a point where you know it's time to get one but for now run what ya brung ;)

The car tires comment wasn't a stab at you or anything, my only two running Jeeps have "car tires" :lol: . That's just how it was explained to me many years ago and it's soooooo true. If you live in a dry area with lots of traction available then a locker on a factory rig might have some more advantages, but not around here.

Once you put a good set of mud tires on it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

RE: Goin

Junkpile said:
The car tires comment wasn't a stab at you or anything, my only two running Jeeps have "car tires" :lol: . That's just how it was explained to me many years ago and it's soooooo true. If you live in a dry area with lots of traction available then a locker on a factory rig might have some more advantages, but not around here.

Once you put a good set of mud tires on it, you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

I didn't think it was a stab it's all good :p The tires I have are about middle of the scale street/off road without being too noisy

Back