Looking at buying a Wrangler YJ, a few questions

I'd give him 5000 for it max. With those few problems, the fact that it's been offroad and the dealer can't say for sure what's happened to it, and the miles, that price is ridonkulously high.

It is sitting at a dealer, but being sold by the actual owner. We didn't ask about everything on it, but the dealer didn't seem to be hiding anything about the condition.

Overall, the Jeep looked nice. Even though it was taken off road (and not cleaned out properly), the owner seems to have taken care of it. The main thing we were worried about was that it had been repainted.

And I will remember to call it a Jeep next time. :)

It seems high to me... Givent he conditions that you stated, I would not pay that much.

I bought a 91 YJ 2.5 with a 5 speed from it's second owner after test driving it around his neighborhood. The jeep ran well, accelerated well and was fine. On the interstate on the way home, it took some time but climbed to 70 and I was satisfied with that. The thing is, I live in the texas hillcountry... we have quite a few 6 to 7% grades out here on the interstate between towns..the jeep will drop to about 55 on these, obviously requiring a downshift - but we all know it isn't an interstate vehicle.

In my driving...it pulls best up to about 45 to 50 mph and is more gradual in acceleration past about 60, so for most around town stuff, the 4cyl is perfectly fine. On the straight and level it will hold 70 without a problem, i've actually gotten it up to about 85 or so without a downgrade. I drive it to work with some interstate and some residential and stay with traffic fine in the city.

I've done some mild offroading with it...seems to have good torque and gearing for it. I haven't tried the beach yet...I'll report back on that here in a month or so :shades:

As for the ax-5, mine has a little issue with 5th jumping out when decelerating down hills, something with the synchros I have been told... I just give it a little nudge when I know I am going to be slowing down. Luckily a rebuilt trans isn't going to kill you if you do have to put one in. I have a toyota camry also...o2 sensor, $240, heater core $200 (aftermarket), steering rack $600, plastic radiator from a fly by night guy on ebay was $90....(none including labor...did it myself) you get the idea. Makes jeep parts look real affordable...and easy to work on.

For comparison... I have two friends, one with a 93 yj and the other a 99tj both stock, autos with the 4.0. The 93's power "feels" stronger than the 99 to me, but of course the 99 drives and rides more comfortably. Compared to my 2.5, of course the 4.0s are nice. You can buy a toyota with a 4cyl or a lexus with a 6...doesn't mean you need the lexus..both are good if you get what I am saying.

And yes...as every person here has said...the price sounds high...I just saw a 99 4.0 auto with 133k sell for 6000 at manheim auto auction...it was really clean too.

James

Last edited:
jmlee, that makes me feel a lot better about the 2.5L. I am not really concerned with interstate power. The longest trip I would be taking is the 2.5 hours to visit family, and that is 55 mph at the most, with very few large hills. The short interstate trips (about half an hour) should not be bad at all.

I looked at another 2.5L YJ a few days ago, and it seems like they were asking a high price too. It would be a fun project to work on, but only if it could be bargained down from the $4500 asking to around $2500... 80K miles, with very little offroad, but it needed paint and had some rust in the exhaust system and a little on the leaf springs (the springs just looked like surface rust or fairly normal wear, so that is a fairly easy touch up). It is kinda hard to find a nice Jeep for a good price around here...

I don't know where you are located. Jeep prices here in this part of TX are high as well. I usually look at the auctions on ebay that have already ended (and sold) to get an idea what something is going to be worth in my area. If you found a yj with 80k - provided it has no other problems - the surface rust you listed is likely to appear on many older vehicles anyway. I think 2500 would be too low...but again this is my area...I don't know yours.

I used to have an 87 4.2 that I sold for 2500 - it was auto trans that slipped going into second, had a rust hole in the floorpan, wouldn't keep an idle, and needed paint, hard top was barely average condition at best, rear main seal leaked...the buyer was well aware of everything... So you see where I am coming from.

The jeep I have now is a 91, has 126k, 5speed, ice cold a/c, not one spec of rust anywhere - even underneath and I gave 4K for it...but it also drives as well as it looks...many times something looks nice and drives like sh**...probably more times than not. I have been in the car business for quite some time...most often, people don't take care of a vehicle...and a good one that looks nice too is hard to find...but if you do, snatch it up....it can give you good service and will sell better if you ever want to upgrade or have a kid and need a "gasp" minivan.

Good luck shopping...its kinda fun actually....even better when you find something you can't live without.

Back