loss of power and odd sound.

KimmytheJeep

I have a 2005 jeep wrangler sport. I Have had her for little over a year. I have noticed recently that she has lost a lot of power and there is a huffing sound(?) when she is idleing. I checked for exhaust leaks what else could be wrong with her?

Clogged exhaust? Maybe you have a large restriction in your intake?

I have been told by one mechanic that I need a new catty and another told me it was fine. Maybe i will replace it anyways just to be safe. Just replaced the air filter. How would i check for a vacuum leak?

When you say a huffing sound, what do you mean? Can you tell where the sound is coming from?

Sometimes with a vacuum leak you can pop the hood and listen for a sucking / whistling sound and go right to the leak.

It sounds like it is coming from underneaton the passanger side about halfway point on the jeep. I don't really know how to describe the sound other than it sound like a jogger after he's been running for a while. Only its lighter, softer.

I have been told by one mechanic that I need a new catty and another told me it was fine. Maybe i will replace it anyways just to be safe. Just replaced the air filter. How would i check for a vacuum leak?

A bad cat will get worse as the engine heats up...

I am told that if I run it for a bit at night and then cover the tail pipe for a bit it will turn red. Is this really a good way to test it or will it just hurt her?

Half way under the passenger side is your cat. Start it and let it warm up and then see how hard the air is coming out of the exhaust pipe. Like put your hand over it and see if tries to blow your hand off or if it just stops blowing. It should build up pretty decent pressure and try to push your hand off. If you cover it and your huffing noise gets worse then its for sure an exhaust leak and if it is indeed from that area you're saying, its your cat area. Take it to a muffler place and ask them to check it for you.

All the times I had exhaust work done, the most it cost was 200 bucks so if its bad, expect around that much. If its just a leak though, should only be 40 or 50 bucks to fix

2005's have 3 cats for Calif emissions. One is where superj mentions the others are under the hood on the driverside of a 4.0 just below the intake. These are the Cats that are monitored by the PCM.
If you have a vacuum leak you would have high ideling.
How did you check for exhaust leaks? I just read about someone using a shop vac to blow air into the tail pipe and pressurize the system. Then spray soapy water around the exhaust connections. Seems easy enough.
The area you mention has the CAT, and CAT to Muffler exhaust flange as well as the muffler. Is any of this aftermarket?

Last question for now. When is the last time you did a tune up? Plugs, Clean TB and IAC, Air Filter??

I do a tune up whenevr the oil looks dar my mum and I do it. I used to do it every six months or so but I haven't been driving her lately. (Broke my driving foot) she doesn't really idle high but it is a little higher than her norm. I'm betting its prolly the cat or an exhaust leak. I will try the hand over tail pipe thing tomorrow. Thanks!

Back