luvers

I put some on mine, and they do help keep the engine bay down. Even when parked, you can feel hot air coming off the engine bay. I do expect, though, that it does not work as well standing still as it does driving at 55mph. By the way, I went the junkyard way with mine; I got some Pontiac GTO ones that were $20, painted them and installed them with 3M automotive double sided tape. Have been on for over a year now without issues.

DSC00177-1.jpg

DSC00089-1.jpg

DSC00091-1.jpg

DSC00092-1.jpg

By the way, I should point out the louvers will cool the engine bay, but NOT the engine itself; this you can only do 2 ways; through the radiator (I recommend a Ford Taurus fan and aluminum radiator if you really want to keep the engine cool; you can get both for under $200 if you look online hard enough and visit a junkyard or two for the ford fan) or through an oil cooler (if you have a stick and the radiator has a transmission fluid cooling setup, you can get a sandwich adapter for the oil filter and route it through the radiator).

Keeping the engine bay cooler means that if your intake is in the engine bay (I have a snorkel, so it does not apply), you are breathing cooler air, which helps increase power. Also, the components under the hood will not deteriorate as fast (I did mine because I got tired of changing cracked vacuum lines).

Last edited:
your motor won't run cooler, but it will disipate the heat around the motor with better efficiency which means the motor won't work as hard to spin a mechanical fan to cool the motor.

Those louvers dont look too bad and are surely alot cheaper than having them punched into the hood.
By the way-good lookin jeep!

Those louvers dont look too bad and are surely alot cheaper than having them punched into the hood.
By the way-good lookin jeep!

Thanks. I think for under $30, I cannot complaint for the louvers!

i added hood scoops like these on my xj with 2 small electric fans forcing air in helps some at slower speeds there on a switch in the cab they run me $95.00 with the fans
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Attachments

• hood_scoop_ribbed.jpg
    hood_scoop_ribbed.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 509
type in hood scoop in google theres lots of places to get them

easy to mount they use double sided tape mine have been on almost 8 years and a 3 inch hole saw to cut out holes in hood to mount little fans

Hey jfrabat, remember what year GTO those louvers came off of? Many thanks!

Years ago we had issues with big block van chassis ambulances over heating, and or vapor locking while on scene idling for extended periods of time. We experimented with a lot of ideas but the one that worked the best was having the engine hoods louvered. I do not think the louvers allowed the engine to run down the road at a lower temp, but it did keep the engines from over heating and vapor locking at long idle durations. Never had any issues with rain either, of course you must put the louvers in the right location to remove heat yet not direct water into the ignition system or air intake.

Last edited:
Nice to have rain going directly onto the ignition and anything else in there.

Actually, (1) in my case, the only electrical thing that sits below the louvers is the OBA compressor, (2) with VERY little watter getting in there anyway, and (3) more water comes up from underneath (what the spew upward) than what you will get going in through the lovers... And keep in mind my Jeep is always either in Costa Rica or Panama, so rainfall here is much more than you ussually get in the US.

Think about it; I think all the components would get wetter doing this:

DSC01219-1.jpg

Years ago we had issues with big block van chassis ambulances over heating, and or vapor locking while on scene idling for extended periods of time. We experimented with a lot of ideas but the one that worked the best was having the engine hoods louvered. I do not think the louvers allowed the engine to run down the road at a lower temp, but it did keep the engines from over heating and vapor locking at long idle durations. Never had any issues with rain either, of course you must put the louvers in the right location to remove heat yet not direct water into the ignition system or air intake.

It's not so much that it will reduce ENGINE temperatures as it will reduce engine COMPARTMENT (under hood) temperatures. The engine will continue operating at its intended temperature, but all the components (vacuum hoses, anyting made of rubber, cable connectors, etc.) will have to witstand less heat and thus will deteriorate less.

Back