Mannnn wtf!

97WhiteDragon

1997 grand cherokee, 4.0L inline 6. Auto transmission, 205,000 kms. Was losing antifreeze badly, replaced water pump and fixed problem and everything was great. Drive for 3 days, notice a leak again.. Now from drain plug/area around drain plug. After replacing new rotors and brakes, new radiator, new water pump, new belt, new battery, and fluid changes routinely, im stressed the hell out of this thing. What would cause antifreeze to leak like this?! Its like my rad cant handle it or some stupid thing. Gonna check it all over again tomorrow, but if yet another part needs replacing, im selling it and buyin a YJ or TJ. 3,000 obo, everything else is excellent.. Just sick of this crap.

Now from drain plug/area around drain plug.

Do you mean oil drain? Radiator drain?

Whenever you fixed your original leak, the system will now build up enough pressure to expose other weak spots in your cooling system. Just have to pick them off one by one.

82CJ7JEEP said:
Now from drain plug/area around drain plug.

Do you mean oil drain? Radiator drain?

Its from the radiator for sure. But i just cant see why it would leak from such a spot, and if so.. How can i fix this? I cant see me having to buy another radiator.. Ive heard JB weld would fix, but it could be my drain plug, so i dunno how i'd fix that.

tntchitwood said:
Whenever you fixed your original leak, the system will now build up enough pressure to expose other weak spots in your cooling system. Just have to pick them off one by one.

I guess so, that makes sense. Its just stressful, big time. And i cannot afford to replace another damn radiator right now.

Now, when you say drain plug, are we talking the petcock, or an actual drain plug? And IF its a drain plug, have you tried putting on some Teflon tape, or other kind of brush on sealer? Sometimes threads aren't all that water tight, and just need a little help.

tjlboise said:
Now, when you say drain plug, are we talking the petcock, or an actual drain plug? And IF its a drain plug, have you tried putting on some Teflon tape, or other kind of brush on sealer? Sometimes threads aren't all that water tight, and just need a little help.

I've had to tape up my petcock on my yj and the leak stopped....

tjlboise said:

Got er fixed! Must have been a small leak, maybe got damaged when i was moving it for the water pump. but i put some bars-leak in my rad, and it sealed everything up. Glad it was an easy and cheap fix.

97WhiteDragon said:
Got er fixed! Must have been a small leak, maybe got damaged when i was moving it for the water pump. but i put some bars-leak in my rad, and it sealed everything up. Glad it was an easy and cheap fix.

That stuff is only temporary. Keep a close eye on it. Happened to me once. I had an old Dodge that leaked a little so I put some bars-leak and all was good for about 2 months the all the water drained out while I was at work. I drove 30 miles one way at the time and I got to within 5 miles of home and the engine fried.
Again keep a very close eye on it to the point you almost expect it tohappen again or else you will be replacing much more than a radiator.

I can't bring myself to EVER trust any of that stuff. Seems like if it'll clog a hole, it could also clog something that it shouldn't... and yeah... its only temporary. The best shortcut for anything, and I mean anything, and everything, is to just do it right the first time.

also if the bottom radiator hose is not fully sealed on the water pump coolant will run down it and it will look like the radiator is leaking. now for the bars leak, please take your jeep somewhere and have your coolant sys flushed.

my80cj5 said:
also if the bottom radiator hose is not fully sealed on the water pump coolant will run down it and it will look like the radiator is leaking. now for the bars leak, please take your jeep somewhere and have your coolant sys flushed.

Well for one, my problem is on the opposite side where my hose runs from the water pump to the rad. And for two, i dont understand at all why this radiator would start leaking (its brand new). Either way.. Theres bigger problems at hand, and right now its running great. Needs a steering box, new tires and an exhaust fix.. And then everything will be fixed and good. And.. I probably just jinxed myself by saying that.

The Rad should still be under warranty. I had a leaky one out of the box and checker replaced it no questions asked.

dustin g said:
The Rad should still be under warranty. I had a leaky one out of the box and checker replaced it no questions asked.

The owner before me is the one who replaced it, and i seen the receipt but forgot to get it from him.

54cj3b said:
may sound stupid but it has to be asked

is the drain plug tight

Lol yes it is. Like i said, it hasnt even seeped a drop since i put that bars leak in. Even if temporary.. It sure fixed it. I do have questions about lifts now though, as im confused as to why some of these kits dont include certain things (shocks for 1). What is the most recommended kit for a 97 GC? i only want like 4.5 lift. And also.. Say i bought a 3-4.5" lift, could i also put spacer blocks too?

Back