More advice for a noob

30yrheel

RE: transmission leak

I’m still figuring things out on my 92 (6 cyl. 5 speed, owned 2 weeks), don’t have any manuals yet.
Seems I have a leak at the joint in, I think, the transmission? It’s right behind the oil pan,
the fluid appears to be gear oil. When I first noticed it and checked the bolts holding the halves together they were very loose. I tightened the bolts but it still leaks.
It makes a spot on the newspaper about 1.5” in diameter per day, is that a major concern and how closely should I monitor this? If I stick a finger in the fill plug and feel oil is that good enough? I’m waiting for my manuals to change any fluids other than motor oil.
Thanks.

RE: Engine Troubles of some sort

I believe fluid is supposed to spill out when the fill plug is removed. Might wanna top it off.

RE: transmission leak

Sounds like the rear main seal of the engine is leaking. Have you checked the level of the engine oil?

Could be a clogged CCV system that caused the leak, that's another story.

RE: rebuilt Np231 problems

Could be the rear main, are you sure it's not just engine oil?

Just to let you know, your transmission should have GL3 oil in it (from a Jeep stealership). Manuals incorrectly call for GL5 which will destroy your transmission. I would change it ASAP to be sure it has the correct oil. This blunder by Chrysler has ruined many a transmission and it will kill yours to if it has the wrong oil in it.

Better than GL3 would be Redline MT90 (order online) or Pennziol Synchromesh (Autozone). A guy in my club runs Royal Purple in his 5 speed YJ and swears by it, it may be worth checking into but I honestly know nothing about it.

RE: reciever mount winch or standard mounted winch?

Thanks for the responses.
I didn’t get any maintenance records from the previous owner so I changed the motor oil right away, no idea what kind of gear oil is in there. That’s when I found the loose bolts. No idea why they would have been so loose.
I also cleaned the CCV lines because of oil in the air filter, yes they were very clogged.
The leak doesn’t seem to be running from anywhere else, the drip is right at the joint (bellhousing?), not sure of the correct term. Like I said, I’m a Jeep noob who doesn’t have any manuals yet.
So how can you tell the difference between 10w30 motor oil and gear oil? Someone said that they smell different?

A clogged CCV system will cause crankcase pressure to build instead of properly venting into the intake to be burnt, sounds like this increased pressure also caused the rear main seal to blow. It'll also cause other seals to go, and the valve cover gasket to leak, if not addressed right away. With the engine running, pull the tube that runs between the valve cover and the airbox. Make sure this tube is pulling fresh air from the airbox into the valve cover, if it is your CCV system is working properly.

It's unlikely and uncommon that the transmission would be leaking out the bellhousing, it's most likely the rear main seal. Once the CCV is working properly you may try some stopleak or something to swell the seal, but it will likely need replacing.

check your valve cover ... the angle of the engine can often make a small leak run down the back of the engine and appear to be leaking from the bell housing as thats the lowest point - i know from experience - i was getting ready to r/r my rear main when in a profound act of procrastination i found a few loose bolts on the valve cover - snugged them up and no more leak - just a thought....

i think you guys may be right- most of my valve cover bolts were loose, i tightened them tonight so we' ll see how it goes. It does look like motor oil.

Back