MPG & Odometer with bigger tires

BostonJeep

96 4.0L from XJ in my 97 TJ

Since the larger tires effect the speed-o, does this effect the odometer too?

My point is.. I have a 95 YJ with the gas tank mod.. so it holds approximately 19 gallons...

I get around 260 miles to the tank... so about 14 MPG.

Is this true? or am I actually getting more?

BTW: I have 32" Mud tires

you're actually getting worse gas mileage.

You are going faster than your spedometor says....so your odometer is actually showing less miles than you're actually going.

your tires are spinning slower than the stock ones to go a given speed, so that is the reasoning behind it all.

Actually, I think i'm wrong about the gas mileage part. Ya, you should be getting better than 14 mpg then.

Ignore that last post then :oops:

RE: Castrophe on the Interstate-Revolvers Save the Day

Yes, your mileage is better. Figure out the percentage of change in tire height, and add that same percentage onto your mileage.

Performance upgrade question

Bounty__Hunter said:
Yes, your mileage is better. Figure out the percentage of change in tire height, and add that same percentage onto your mileage.
thats what im askin on here for :p

RE: Castrophe on the Interstate-Revolvers Save the Day

Let me know when you figure this one out as I am in the same boat, or should I say Jeep! My mileage is much worse though because 50% of my driving is in the sand with the tires at 10-15 psi!

RE: Re: RE: miss me?

I got a novel Idea, how about the two of you take your jeeps offroad! we can test the milage then? You know it gets a little lonely out in the woods having the only YJ!! I am in TJ hell!

Why don't you both come to PAP next week?

Pit Bull Rocker Tires

Let me try a different tack on this question:

If changing tire size causes your speedo to read 5 percent high, then the odometer reading will also be high by 5 percent. (The speedo and odometer receive the same input, whether that input is from a mechanical or an electronic source.)

If changing tire size causes your speedometer to read low, then the odometer will also read low.

Because of a +5 percent odometer error, If you were to fill up and drive 200 miles by your odometer, then you would have actually driven 5 percent fewer (10 miles) than is indicated by your odometer, or a corrected distance of 190 miles.

When you fill up a second time, use the corrected odometer mileage to compute MPG.

For example:

(1) You fill up when the odometer reads exactly "X" miles.

(2) You drive 200 miles by the odometer, but you know that the odometer is high by 5 percent. Therefore, corrected mileage is (200 - (200 X 0.05)) = 190 miles.

image-missing.png

(3.) If 15 gallons is then required to re-fill the gas tank, MPG could be computed thusly:

(4.) (200 - (200 X 0.05)) Miles / 15 Gal. = 12.66 Miles/Gallon

image-missing.png

For you Mer-can Cit-zens who live east of the Pecos, but don't know nothing 'bout the erl bid-ness, using the example above, MPG could also be more efficiently computed thusly:

(5.) (200 X 0.95) Miles / 15 Gal = 12.66 Miles/Gallon)

image-missing.png

Regards,

H. Ross Gadget :wink:

PS: This one is for you, Mud. :lol:

wanted 81-86 cj7

Inspector-Gadget said:
...............................PS: This one is for you, Mud. :lol:

How'd you know I was an old H. Ross fan?! Thanks for the post - love the pics, charts, and pointers - True Perot style!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any 1-Piece Axles for this Rearend?

88Wrangles said:
Actually, I think i'm wrong about the gas mileage part. Ya, you should be getting better than 14 mpg then.

Nice save!! True Oregonian style and in only 2 minutes to boot :lol: :D LBR

straight style headers?

LBR said:
88Wrangles said:

Nice save!! True Oregonian style and in only 2 minutes to boot :lol: :D LBR

haha, ya I was actually thinking of it the correct way, but typed the wrong thing. And I was in a hury so I didn't feel like going back and editing the whole thing :oops: :oops:

Back