My Jeep Blew up! More and more problems...

pezzo33

Ok, not blown up, but close... seemed like it was gonna...

So we were riding down the road, and my jeep was going ncie and quick. First time I had had it on the highway since I bought it about 2 weeks ago.

All of a sudden, clang clang clang in the engine, let of the throttle. CLANG CLANG CLANG louder! Oh now, lifters flying, soudns likke there is no oil.....huh :shock:

Look down, temp it plugged to the far right...losing power...oh no...

Get of the highway, start going to the nearest station.....hmmm...might now make it...pull to the side of the road.... all of a sudden, pufffffff!

white smoke evrywhere, opened the hood, smoke billowing out. antifreeze boiling over in the resevoir, radiator blowing antifreze out of at least five spots, trail of it bhind us, all over the undercarriage...o no!

Not looking good :(
:evil:

So hopefully it is just the radiator, but does not look like it. checked the oil, it is dry...but no leaks! Got it from a dealer, and got the nifty 30 day 1250 mile warranty, so it may pay off...glad it is required in Mass to have that warranty :)

Did not need this headache though, and did need this Jeep :( Maybe it will spell a new engine, but I hope not, I want her back :(

Barry

did you notice the temp going up before it happened? water pump could have gone bad, causing the heat to rise, warping motor parts, allowing oil through, burning up oil, friction further rising heat, everything starts making noise from no lubrication, cooling system pops, and then we are left with a dead motor

it is a 1989 YJ Wrangler with an AMC 258

It did not seem to be unusually high before this all started happening. it was slightly past mid, then this all started happening at once. the car started knocking,t hen it started going up....I guess if the water pump just failed, it could have all been sudden.

I dunno. I mean I want him to have to give me a new engine :) but that means no Jeep for a long time :( anyone wanna give me a ride to work? :lol:

Barry

I don't know the laws there, but here the dealership could only be made to basically get you running again. If the engine required a rebuild, the dealership would probably just replace it with a junkyard engine. That could or couldn't be a good thing, all they care is that it runs longer than the warranty does.

Exactly

well, it is good when everything works out. Just got a call from the dealer (who happened to go in on Sunday to look at the Jeep).

Radiator was a junk replacement, he opened it up, it was full of the foam stuff. he said he should have seen it in the first place, but missed it...oh well.

So he is gonna pull the motor, whole bottom end is blown. He is gonna resurface the crank, rebuild it, new rods and bearings gaskets, etc... New radiator, oil pump, water pump, and someo ther stuff I forgot. should make it all good :)

then the better news! The transmission was also acting funny, missing shifts and surging. so he said he would take it out too, and put in one of the remanufactored transmissions he has sitting around.

total cost to me, $100 (customer pays first $100 on all repairs under the warranty) not bad..

and I should have it back by Saturday. earlier if there was no holiday...

Barry :lol:

I take it you got your jeep returned to you?Where was it who stole it?

windsheild light mounting question

Sully said:
I take it you got your jeep returned to you?Where was it who stole it?

nope, it was not. this was a new one (hence the 30 day warranty)

I replaced my 89 YJ with 273K miles with an 89 YJ with 98K miles... :D

Barry

FUEL RAIL PRESSURE DROP

if the radiator had foam in it... make sure they check the water pump, thermo, and all lines before returning it to you... and if the bottom end was shot, make sure they address the oil pump and internal passages... any metal shavings from the crank could have gotten in there somewhere and could be a problem down the road

Good news! Glad to hear it worked out. Now might be a good time to see if you could get the rebuilder to do a few upgrades. Offer to pay the difference in cost of any performance parts over what they would have paid for replacement stuff. On the other hand, the dealer seems very helpful at this point, may be best to just leave well enough alone.

Junkpile said:
Good news! Glad to hear it worked out. Now might be a good time to see if you could get the rebuilder to do a few upgrades. Offer to pay the difference in cost of any performance parts over what they would have paid for replacement stuff. On the other hand, the dealer seems very helpful at this point, may be best to just leave well enough alone.

yeah, may be best to just let it go to what he is rebuilding it. He has all the parts in stock, so not like he is buying them. also, I just bought the Jeep, so cash is a little tighter, and I woudl rather spend the money on stuff like a lift and 33's instead of headers, etc... plus, my car gets most of my money :)

Barry

plus, my car gets most of my money

Hopefully you change your ways in the future.
Cash Paycheck= Jeep upgrades
any remaining goes to wife.

(If if was only so simple.....) :roll:

Congrats on the news!!

well, although I love my jeep, love upgrading it, and thouroughly enjoy offroading...cant say my ways will change. I enjoy my car even more :) (plus, I have sponsors to keep happy, and have to be competitive!)

Barry

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

an IMPORT??? uggg.... but honestly.. i'll say the wrx's are impressive

Snitty said:
an IMPORT??? uggg.... but honestly.. i'll say the wrx's are impressive

an import yeah, but....it is not a WRX, but a WRX STI.

hmmm, 313 AWHP on a dyno, six speed, 13" rotor brembos, recaro seats, adjustable center differential...blah blah blah...I will take it. it is nice and fun :)

(if it helps, GM owns 23% of Fuji Heavy Industries, who makes subaru..)

Barry :)

Snitty said:
(if it helps, GM owns 23% of Fuji Heavy Industries, who makes subaru..)

sounds good to me then... what exactly does the STI mean... what gives a wrx that name

Subaru Technica International. it is the in house tuning arm of Subaru for racing. in stock form, 300HP instead of 227, 6 speed instead of 5 speed, forged BBS wheels instead of cast alloy , huge brembo brakes instead of OEM, nicer interior, driver controlled differentials, limited slip front instead of open diff, inverted struts, etc..

Kinda like BMW's M cars, Mercedes AMG, etc. The coolest toys, and a car that iso ne great bang for the buck :)

BVasically, where the WRX is a nice, capable, punchy all wheel drive sedan, teh STI is more of a street legal race car, based on their knowledge from WRC racing.

Barry

Back