My Jeep just dies

KatB

Hi everyone, I am having similar problems and just signed up to site. With mine, the first indication I had of problems was driving down the road and the engine cut off, no sputter nothing. On restart, it just sounded like the engine was getting no fuel, it would try to crank but sounded like it got not fuel. After getting it towed to the house, while attempting to start it, it was discovered that there was a blown 20amp fuse. Upon replacing the fuse the engine started. I ran an errand and on the way home, the fuse blew again. I attempted to put a 30 amp fuse in it short term to fix the problem(this was something a guy that owns a car lot suggested.) Before I got a couple of miles, the engine started sputtering and the air bag light came on. Everything evened out, and when I attempted to turn it on again when leaving, the battery had to be jumped. I turned off the engine and it restarted immediately. While sitting there idling, the engine started sputtering, the air bag light came on the engine died, and when attempting to restart, it sounded totally dead again. After sitting where it had broken down for a week. I replaced the 30 with a 20 fuse and had to jump it off and it drove home. The jeep had sat wrecked for a year and half prior to this, and I had to put an alternator and serpentine belt and install some fuses that were missing.I just replaced the alternator again today,and when restarting within a minute or two, the gauge still drops to 0 and it sputters and dies and has to be jumped off. The battery is probably drained from two short trips the last two days before the alternator was replaced. It was totally on empty when restarting and by the time we finished tinkering with it , is probably out again. I realize I'm taking the long story version, but I have no idea what is important for you to know and what is not. I have a jump box to take the jeep to Battery Source and they are putting in another battery in and checking the cables. The guy that replaced the alternator pulled off the negative cable off the battery while running, and it died just like it had a bad alternator which I know cannot be true.I am including what I hope is a complete story, because I would like to know what to ask the battery place to check that they would be able to check, and then what else to do. I have been told to have them check the charging wire from the battery to the alternator. Please help me. I am recently seperated after 22 years of marriage, (so yes I am po broke and old, :) ) but I desperately need to be able to get back and forth to work and the jeep has ran for maybe an hour and half total in the last month.

Re: Cj dies for no reason

Hi everyone, I am having similar problems and just signed up to site. .... Please help me. I am recently seperated after 22 years of marriage, (so yes I am po broke and old, :) ) but I desperately need to be able to get back and forth to work and the jeep has ran for maybe an hour and half total in the last month.

First welcome to the board! And, Sorry to hear about all the issues.

You might consider starting a new thread for this. This way the facts between your issue and the original poster don’t get mixed. But, Hey you got to start somewhere though. Right.

More info is better then less. Start with easy cheap items. Being this sat for some time and you have some charge issues. Correct them first.
WHat fuse is blowing?? What does it go to. You could have an intermittant short that kills the engine. Follow this and other wires looking for a short or exposed wires.

Get the battery tested. Be sure all connections are clean and tight. Check all the ground connections. There are three. Battery to chassis, engine to chassis and alternator to chassis. Be sure they are clean and tight.

Because it sat so long I'd be sure it has fresh gas.

Check these and post back.

You might consider starting a new thread for this. This way the facts between your issue and the original poster don’t get mixed. But, Hey you got to start somewhere though. Right.

More info is better then less. Start with easy cheap items. Being this sat for some time and you have some charge issues. Correct them first.
WHat fuse is blowing?? What does it go to. You could have an intermittant short that kills the engine. Follow this and other wires looking for a short or exposed wires.

Get the battery tested. Be sure all connections are clean and tight. Check all the ground connections. There are three. Battery to chassis, engine to chassis and alternator to chassis. Be sure they are clean and tight.

I will start another thread, thank you, if these don't work(I have everything I can crossed). Hopefully this will be the end. Can you tell me where to get a diagram of what the fuses go to under the hood. The large ones have a legend on the fuse cover, the little ones do not and it it is the top right 20. Also, to be on the safe side, where can I get the diagram/legend of the fuse box inside the passenger compartment?

No worries about fresh gas, it ran out while we were messing with it yesterday, so will be getting some to put in it to get to gas station(if it starts) and then be putting more in.

KatB said:
I will start another thread, thank you, if these don't work(I have everything I can crossed). Hopefully this will be the end. Can you tell me where to get a diagram of what the fuses go to under the hood. The large ones have a legend on the fuse cover, the little ones do not and it it is the top right 20. Also, to be on the safe side, where can I get the diagram/legend of the fuse box inside the passenger compartment?

Youre better off buying a chilton car manual. But the fuse layout should be listed in the car manual if its anything like my work trucks.

Last thing I forgot is ignition where key goes is kind of loose.

Back