My wife could become a jeep widow.

Quite Happy

Just picked up my '85 CJ7 4-banger in December. $2500 got me the Jeep with 5 new 31's, a winch that work spottily, a 4-inch Pro-Comp lift and pretty much nothing else. Didn't run remarkably well, but I intended it to be a project. Since then I've put in a rebuilt carb, O2 sensor, plugs, K&N air filter, power steering, and I completely tore out all vacuum lines and started from scratch with the diagram under the hood and re-ran every hose with new hose and fittings. Ran as smooth as a baby's behind, but was a little sluggish on hills and sucked gas like a Hummer. At stop lights I could smell unburned fuel, so I knew it was too rich, but the carb is controlled by the ECM. Checked the mixture control solenoid, and it didn't work (thanks, Carburetor Exchange in El Monte, CA). Found a junkyard solenoid that worked, and when I went to put it on, I found the gasket was solid paper, so the thing was not going to be effective even if it did work (thanks again, Carburetor Exchange in El Monte, CA). Replaced the solenoid, and she's much leaner now, smell is gone, but now I have the hiccup and starvation common in older Jeeps. I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering the Nutter Bypass.

Overall, this thing's in my family forever. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands before I sell the CJ.

I had an 85 CJ7 that I loved for years, but ended up selling it because I didn't have the room any more. I remember working on that carb all the time - it would only run nice for about 6 months at a stretch before I had to retune. It was a blast to drive, and I still miss it.

Welcome to Jeepz.com

Back