Need help with a blower motor concern please

gear

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this. Vehicle is a stock 95 cherokee, 4.0 automatic 4x4. Any help will be appreciated. I will try to be as descriptive as I can. First off... The jeeps heater control is missing the blower speed switch. Manual temp settings, not the automatic. Also checked the fuses inside. I am not having any troubles with wipers, lights, radio or anything. When I purchased it, the guy said that something happened and got to hot. He replaced it with an alternate switch that was mounted to the dash. The switch was only hooked up to the high speed wire I am assuming. The blower worked fine all summer long, never had an issue. When switch was off, there was no or very little forced air coming out of vents, when switch was on, was like the blower was on high. All summer long used it. Never touched the control settings. Were set on coldest setting and a/c. Sometimes I would lower the temp with the a/c on. End of summer, didnt use a/c. Never messed with it, just always left it off. Cold weather hits, took a while for me to use the heat. Went into jeep. Turned control switch from a/c to heat and heard small noise, light on the alternate switch went out, came back on but the blower quit. The blower has not worked since. Just today i tested the switch to make sure it still had power. The switch is hooked up to two wires coming from the dash where appears the wires originally went into the blower switch. Two wires are electrical taped and set aside. Two wires are tied in together and capped with a turn lock. One wire going into switch is the power I am assuming and one is the outgoing power. I hooked up test light to the power wire, when key is turned on it has power. Light still works on toggle switch. the wire coming out of the toggle switch to the wire in dash does have power when the switch is on, and no power when switch is off. So I am assuming everything is still fine with the switch. I took out the blower motor resistor, no cracks burn spots or anything. Connection is good and clean. obviously by my descriptions I am not real familiar with electrical systems. I can answer anymore questions, and appreciate any help I receive. Thank you

Last edited:

i will be looking at post regularly to do any suggestions or further test.

sorry, dont know why only that showed up ( its done ) Ran out of time for to look at it, going to look at saturday and see. Friend has tester so I can check more. All I had was a check light and jumper wire. As soon as I can look at it, I will post what we did to get it going. Thank you

Let us know how it turned out. To Recap: It's. A '95 Cherokee with Manual Temp. Control -- Right? Blower motor does not work - Any speed? A. DVM (multimeter) Could be handy on this problem! Some POSSIBLE things to Check: 1. Blower Motor Resistor -- Can RULE out If Blower does NOT work on HIGH. 2. Fan Switch 3. Wiring 4. Blower Motor - VERIFY Motor is GOOD By removing Connector From motor and applying 12vdc directly to Motor (observe polarity) Also-- check. For Voltage at Blower Motor Connector(female end). Turn Key ON -- Set switch to HIGH -- Do you have 12V? If you do --- AND Blower Motor does NOT work when you PLUG it all back together -- THEN the Blower Motor is BAD! That is it in a nutshell - - JB

i only had a few minutes today to look at it. I removed the blower motor and disconnected the wiring harness. Hooked up a jumper wire from battery to the motor on both power and ground. Nothing happened. Do not have volt tester. Trying to find a place to get a new blower motor

Back