Need help with my '92 Cherokee

The Butcher

Hey,

I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a lift and answer some other questions for me.

I want to raise my jeep about 2-3 inches. Im strapped for cash, so Im hoping on finding a cheap but good quality lift kit. I've found afew kits that come with a spacer, extra leaf and shocks for a decent price, are those any good? Who makes the best and cheapest lift? I've also seen afew kits that come with all new leafs, coil springs and shockls aswell as kits that are just shackles. What is my best bet? I've already figured out most of my money will go to wheels and tires, so that doesnt leave too much for lift.

What can I do for axles? A Dana 30 isn't the best. I was thinking of snagging some axles shafts from a jeep with ABS for the lager universals. What about a rear? Is there anything out the witha Dana 40 and limited slip that will bolt in?

Also, I just installed a new blower motor(my last one was seized). It works on all speeds, but barely anything is comming out of the vents. Im thinking the heater core is clogged. It's a '92 with the 4.0 HO and A/C. Where is the heater core? Or, what else is blocking the air from comming out?

I know Im asking alot, and I really appreciate any help I get. Thanks, Kyle.

Welcome to the Z.

Consider 2" coil spacers for the front and 2" blocks for the rear. JC Whitney for all Auto parts - Car, Truck, Jeep, Motorcycle & RV Parts had a very affordable 2" block kit for the rear of a Cherokee.

The front d30 is a decent axle for up to around 33" tires, anything bigger becomes questionable. The rear d35 is problematic with larger tires, look for an early XJ d44 or later XJ 8.25 for a bolt-in upgrade.

Thats pretty helpful so far. Thanks for answering afew of my questions. I've done alot of searching and havent come up with too mcuh so far.
If I find a d44 from a early XJ or the 8.25, will it match up? Shock mounts and axle mounts? Or is there going to be some mods involved?
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
For now, the biggest Im looking to go is 30 or 31 inch tires. Those things are expensive, so nothing too exsessive.lol

Sounds like were in the same boat. I got a 2" lift off of e-bay for 89 bucks. spacers in front and shackles in rear. came with all needed hardware. I plan on getting it put in as soon as the weather permits. Tires and Wheels are a real killer on the pocket book! I haven't even been able to find a good used set that won't break the bank!
I've been watching reruns of the series Trucks on Speed TV, there doing project cheap Cherokee. there saying that a d44 out of a late model Ford Ranger or Explorer will work quite well with little modification. Have not seen the epesode with the install yet so I'm not sure what little modification means to them.

I've been watchin that too, so far there's only been the one episode. Im makin sure not to miss any of those episodes. Let me know how the lift wokrs out once it's installed. Im looking at getting mine done before spring. Right in time for some fresh trails.

A Cherokee d44 or 8.25 will bolt right in considering the gear ratio is correct for your jeep.

OregonJeep, the Fords you mentioned have the 8.8 rear axle, a good option for jeeps but requires a little more work to install.

Just use an older d44 axles. Cheaper than the 8.8 Ford axles. You can also use a leaf spring lift kit if you don't want to use blocks or spacer.

I have the part time transfer case, so the gear ratio in that is... 2.72:1, I think? Will that work or will I have to grab the full/part time transfer case?
The gear ratio in the trany is 3.07:1 aswell I think.

I have the part time transfer case, so the gear ratio in that is... 2.72:1, I think? Will that work or will I have to grab the full/part time transfer case?
The gear ratio in the trany is 3.07:1 aswell I think.
They're both 2.72:1 and what you have now is fine.

Perfect. Thanks for the help guy's. Now all I have to do is round up some cash for all the aprts.

Back