need help!

CAnderson1034

I am in need of a new motor, unfortunately. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should get and where to get it? It has the 304 in it now. I need something I can just drop in and go. Does this mean I have to stick with the 304 or do I have more options? Thanks for the help.

304, 360, and 401 all use the same motor mounts, exhaust manifolds, accessory drives and belt systems. just need to pick which one you want to pay for. 304 and 360's are the most plenty, if you can find a 401, it's a monster of a motor torque wise and would be a blast to drive.

Any suggestions as to where to get another motor? Or can mine be fixed for cheaper?

Burning oil could be from the valve stem seals and or the piston rings. Either way, that engine should be a good engine to rebuild for a lot less than to buy another one. I did most of the rebuild on my 360AMC. The only thing that was done by someone else are the machine work. I probbably spent a total of $2,000 or less but thats with some mild upgrades from edelbrock. It would have been a lot cheaper with stock cams etc.

The cost to rebuild the 304 Vs. 360 should be about the same. It's the same block with a bigger bore and different stroke on the 360 AMC.

The cost to rebuild the 304 Vs. 360 should be about the same. It's the same block with a bigger bore and different stroke on the 360 AMC.

Rebuild kits for the AMC 360 vs AMC 304 have always been less as they sell more 360 rebuild kits due to more AMC 360s having been built. It all comes down to demand. It's kind of like why barns in the old days use to be painted red. If you asked the farmer why they painted the barn red they would tell you it was because red was the cheapest paint; if you asked the hardware store owner why barn red paint was so cheap, they would tell you it was because they sold so darn much of it.

Thanks for all the help. Do you guys know of anywhere I could get a 360 block for cheap? And if I were to buy a master rebuild kit, would that include everything I would need? Or is there more I would have to buy along with the master rebuild kit? Once again thanks for the help.

Back