need more power!

Stolz Jeeper

hey i am new to the jeep crowd, i own a 1989 yj islander with a 4.2l AMC I-6, i was wondering what modifications i could do to get a good boost in power and be affordable and easy to install (by myself and dad), i am thinking about replacing the carb, and getting a new intake for it. if anyone has any recomendations or tricks it would be very helpful to me, thanks alot

The air intake is a good one, and the TBS. Just don't believe them with the claims that they make. You definitely get more low end power and responsivness, but no real mpg increase. But if you're looking for just power, it's a start.

I installed a weber carb on my i6 few monthes back. wow what an improvement. Last week I instaled a borla header and cat-back and again what an improvement! To top it off the sound of that borla is awsome
Intake and exhaust man, is the best and most eccinomical way to start. You dont have to go with the big name stuff nessissarily but ask around.The borla set up is expensive but quality. And fits real nice.

I did the exhaust system upgrade on the '93 YJ. Great bang for the buck!

I also did a FIPK (similar to ram air) on the air intake.

i would recommend some kind of header since your taking your intake off already i have a borla very expensive but they look great and their hp and tq claims are very close to the real world and a good cat back will help you on you hp quest

Don't forget gears. Penny for penny, you can't beat steeper gears for a seat of the pants difference.

A MSD Ignition upgrade helps with mpg, i did it on my 97 TJ and scored almost 2mpg! my throttle response increased alittle too. dont for get a better air filter!
-Ant

I know this may be basic but I find a high quality air intake does a huge differnce. At least in my jeep it did. Its a small upgrade but its worth it. PLus it looks great. I use a safari snorkel with a big fiter on :) boosted my power

Hey cold air works great, mine is home made to my own specs cut out the front of factory box and added a K&N filter. removed head light bezels for cold air works good. Added a cool throttle body spacer from gsppowerspacers.com, this thing really works compared to my old airaid. It has been my best engine mod yet. These thing even works at high RPMs. I also have bored out throttle body, accel coil and wires from acmejeepparts.com. Thru trail and error i found that NGK plugs work best for me gapped at 0.38. Next engine mod is a electrec fan from flex-a -lite.com

Back