Need TFI Help

signguy

Changed the ignition to TFI in our 79 CJ5 when we put on the MC2500 carb two years ago. Has been working out real good until now. Gassed up the other day and when I restarted the engine it ran for a minute and died. Will not restart. Did all the usual troubleshooting and can't solve the problem. As far as I can tell we don't have a spark. I'm told the coil on these TFI set-ups almost never go bad. My multi-meter says we are getting 5.4 volts to the positive side of the coil with the key on. I thought it should be 12 volts? This is where I am stuck and the FBI couldn't find the guy in Colorado who sold me the system. Would appreciate any advice on the next step.

yes, you should have 12 volts from the key. Im not familiar with the TFI so that probably all the help I can give.

Start with the basic checks. Check your grounds, make sure its not on a rusted or corroded surface. You already know your not getting the battery voltage to the coil with the key on. Check that wiring for chaffed or pinched wire all the way to the next connector then check the voltage there. On that note, how is the coil wired up?, where is this wiring coming from?. If your using the old conventional coil wiring from the factory harness which uses a ballast resistor on the coil, check the red wire for resistance all the way to the bulkhead where the brake booster is. There should be a wire splice there. Some of these circuits are resistor wires for the coil. If its a regular wire, disregard this and proceed in tracing the 12v line for faults.

Back