Need your opinion on performance and lift

daniel5455

I just bought a 98 Jeep Wrangler, It has a 4 cyl 2.5 L and 5 speed Manual. I want to add more HP to it. I also want to put bigger tires and lift it. I am new to the jeep world. I dont know where to start and dont know if its worth it on a 4 cylinder. I need suggestion on what i should do.

tia

I say it's worth it, but that's a decision only you can make. There's a lot of jeepers wheelin the 2.5L with 33" and 35" tires, they do well and it's a lot of fun. There are some advantages to the 2.5L, biggest being that they're light and easier on parts.

What size lift or what size tire you looking at using?

thanks for the reply..

I really dont know how much of a lift i should go. I guess a decent hight where the cost is not too expensive. Probably some 33" tires or maybe a little smaller. What about performance what should i start with to give it some more HP. I was thinking about an intake and exhaust but i dont know what is good for that areas.

I'm running a 01 tj 4cyl. with 33's. As far as engine mods go I wouldn't waste my time. There is no intake or exhaust mod that's going to give you a noticable gain in horsepower. If you plan on running larger tires save up and regear. That's your best bet in my opinion.

what is a TJ, CJ, and YJ what do they mean? If i want to just add 33's what do i need to do as far as lifting and gears.

97 and up model years are tj's wich is what you have. I'm running the rubicon express 3.5 standard kit which gives yoiu a little over 4 inches of lift. As far as gears I would go with 4.88 ratio. I'm running 4.56 ratio myself and it still fells a little sluggish.

Do you have pics of your jeep and do you have the part number for the Rubicon Express. I was looking at their site and seen a bunch of suspension kits.

thanks

The part # of the kit I used is RE7002. I was able to remove most of the drivleine vibrations with the transfer case drop supplied with the kit. Remember though every jeep is different. You may experience vibes more than me and have to spend more money to get rid of them such as adjustable control arms or slip yoke eliminator kit. If you don't wheel your rig a lot you may consider getting a 2" coil spacer lift and a 1" body lift which will be cheaper and you'll have less chance of vibrations. That's what I started off with. Here's some pics of my rig. I also have a 1" body lift so you're jeep would sit 1" lower.
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Back