new 92 cherokee with a few issues....

335glhs87

hi guys. I sold my 89 commanche w/ 230k 2wd 4banger for $600, and bought this 92 cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0L w/ 134k for $800. The guy told me it needed a wheel bearing and shift lock switch($$$$) ( no start in park, nuetral only). Clean jeep, drove it , seemed cool. Now the more I drove it sounds like a rear end vibration worse from 25mph-50mph, but not nearly as severe at 55-65mph. Had my bro take it to work (jeep dealer) my buddy pulled the rear diff cover, very milky gear fluid, cleaned, inspected, resealed & added fresh gear oil. noise got 60% better, but still a lil noisey. Only occurs under acceleration, not when you let of at any speed. U joints looked good, and the normal. Is there any ideas anyone has I could be dealing with or need to check??? Other issue that has just started Im hearing a noise under slower accelerations almost like a fan hitting the radiator (squeak,ping/tap, something) but noise is only present while accelerating from a stop or a yield on turns. Cannot make the noise while in park or nuetral. Sorry for the long story form, but I wanna be as informative as possible, my bro is a parts manager at jeep dealer, so cost is a non-issue....just need some help... Could I have a mount causing the rear vibration, axle bearing, driveshaft? any help would be appreciated.....thanx.:???:

Sounds like bad bearings and/or gears in the rear axle.

Consider taking the front driveshaft out to help narrow down the noise to the rear.

My 92 cherokee had the same light rattle on accelleration and turns,the plastic tabs on my fan shroud were broke causing the shroud to move just enough to hit the pully on the powersteering pump. Easy fix with a couple zipties. might check for that. If the oil was milky in the rear you might want to check the front to.as for the vibration in the rearend, an axle bearing is a posibility, water can do some nasty things to bearings if there exposed for any amount of time! but I would make sure the vibration is from the rear before tearing into it.

yeah, my fan shroud is broke Im guessin that is what that noise is up front. I noticed the previous owner replaced a rear brake line, and I have heard some funky noises coming from that wheel, Im wondering if maybe that could be part of my vibration issue.

we got 8" of snow yesterday, and when I had it in FULL TIME, my vibration improved greatly! It's not really occur until 45mph & up, but 1/4 of the vibration it is when it is in 2wd.....?:???: could I be looking at a transfer case problem? the thing drove excellent the whole time, its a completely different driver in 4wd than 2wd as far as the vibration issue.

When your in 4wd the front pulls the rear slightly taking the load off of the rear. I'll bet it's a bearing.

Back