New owner from Southern Calif.

Purchased a 81 CJ7 from a buddies uncle. Has a 77 258 in it and i already have a christmas list a couple of pages long to wake this tired soldier up. I have owned a Cherokee so I'm not totally new to Jeeps and the ingenuity of mods done by other owners. I have owned many other 4x4 vehicles. This was bought so my wife could enjoy the trails. For some reason my 86 F-250 diesel just did not appeal to her. We live in southern Calif in the Mojave desert so there are plenty of places to go. The jeep does not "NEED" to be wrenched on. Th eengine was built by a local shop. There's aa aftermarket cam in it but not sure of the specs right now. T-5 transmission has a newish clutch and pressure plate. It runs fine with the exception of the bad Idle and gassy smelling exhaust. Tthe Carter carb needs to go and an ignition mod will be soon after that. The jeep needs to go to the smog guys so we can get the registration done so I think a fuel delivery mod will happen sooner than I think. The fact that I have to deal with California emissions makes sorting out mods that are legal here a little difficult at times. I'll get into that on the forum.
I cant wait to meet/communicate with everyone and I certainly hope i can add to the discussions and not just ask questions. Fellow members must be warned that my attempts at humor sometimes come off as being a smart ass. I would never intentionally do that to anyone but i will take every opportunity to crack a joke at your expense. So here i go into the world of " Why does that guy want to do that".
Jim

Welcome to Jeepz.com , Jim :welcome:we sure can use someone funny here as my humor has me keeping my day job. I think it's great that the misses has a CJ as her trail toy and am happy for you guys you scored a gem as you well know that finding a CJ is not the tough thing , its paying for that is . A mint one yields big dollars , a good one is priced up there with a good used car , a fixer upper will be priced low but ending up costing you big in the end. I do not now own a CJ but vow to someday(stop me if you heard this one) but have been paying attention to prices and condition and parts cost , for example. Wishing you and the misses best of luck with the new toy and hope she enjoys it big time ! It will keep you busy maintaining her rig and less time for your own , but you knew that . " honey ? Can you come take a look at my jeep ? It's making a noise and I'm scared to drive it , please ? " LOL where have we heard that before !
You know your on the right track with the engine , but that Modified cam will make it tricky to dial in and even selecting the right carburetor may be trial and error. Then there's the emissions people to contend with. I would say an injection system but your trying to keep it simple and not look for more work. Will be looking forward to pics and posts of up coming projects or add ons . QUADRATECH should have a section where items such as bigger lighted make up mirrors and variable speed nail dryers and things . I'm just kidding , I'm just welcoming another fun loving guy to the forum . Hope you both enjoy Jeepz.com and your new addition to the family , the cj7 !

Last edited:
It looks like you thought my jokes would be funny. Bless your heart. i have been tasked with finding a way to turn the floor mounted double gun rack into a purse holder and the roof mounted single gun one to hold her garage sale list for the weekends and sunglasses holder. The cam is not too radical. I don't notice any lope in it. Is that a word? The more i research the YF carb and the options available in the PRK ( Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) the more I realize that a rebuild kit will have to work for a while. She keeps telling me everything is fine the way it is and i don't need to spend money on the fuel delivery but she will have that on the honey-do list soon.

Attachments

• IMAG0227.jpg
    IMAG0227.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33

It looks like you thought my jokes would be funny. Bless your heart. i have been tasked with finding a way to turn the floor mounted double gun rack into a purse holder and the roof mounted single gun one to hold her garage sale list for the weekends and sunglasses holder. The cam is not too radical. I don't notice any lope in it. Is that a word? The more i research the YF carb and the options available in the PRK ( Peoples Republic of Kalifornia) the more I realize that a rebuild kit will have to work for a while. She keeps telling me everything is fine the way it is and i don't need to spend money on the fuel delivery but she will have that on the honey-do list soon.

Yeah , I can undsrstand deep sixin' the gun racks , it not very becoming for a woman. Granted. Not knowing emissions requirements in PRK, I guess they only let you slide with stock as they are expecting emissions standards of that particular year ? Once upon a time , New York did that . Lope is a word in cam tech , but slang to me. I'm still absorbing cam profiles such lift , duration and lobe separation angle pertaining to my 4.0 ltr. H.O. that allows it to run without EGR and the wonderful air pump and injector tubes of yesteryears. She sounds like a wonderful girl and very appreciative , bless her heart . You think she'll ask for a Mary Kay pink paint job ? I better stop or she's going to hunt me down ! Best of luck with your new project , everyone loves a CJ !

Last edited:
She almost bought some Mossy Oak seat covers with the pink trim yesterday. But I distracted her with the air fresheners.
Jim

She almost bought some Mossy Oak seat covers with the pink trim yesterday. But I distracted her with the air fresheners.
Jim

one day , when she completes her detailing , all loaded with the female touch , bling bling , she'll photo opt in a post and be so proud so I know we'll be proud for her . That's what it's all about !
You go girl ! Just take it easy on Jim , he's got to install it !

She's looking for a tire cover that matches the paint. No pink involved.
Jim

She's looking for a tire cover that matches the paint. No pink involved.
Jim

Well , sounds like the bling is out the door and its all business now , she just wants that jeep ready to do battle ! I say again , "you go girl" ! It's great when a woman is fearless and refuses to skate through life just strutttin' , got to participate . It's not a spectator sport . Gotta love it !

I tried to get her involved in the dialog here and she's too embarrased to join in. Too bad. she said some funny stuff about the accesories. hello Kitty and stuff like that.
Jim

Welcome to Jeepz, yea that one looks more like Gritty Kitty. Lol I'm jealous of all the trail area you have so close to your home. I'd be willing to bet their's more rust in the headlight ring of mine than in that whole Jeep.

I tried to get her involved in the dialog here and she's too embarrased to join in. Too bad. she said some funny stuff about the accesories. hello Kitty and stuff like that.
Jim

Shes always welcome ! It her forum too , anytime she wants.

That pic was just about 2 miles from my house. yep we have tons of trails. dry, dusty, rocky trails so very little chance for any muddin'. As far as rust goes there is one spot on the drivers side fender where it took a hit and crinkled the metal. Little bit of rust around there. Other than that is all good solid 1981 American steel.

That pic was just about 2 miles from my house. yep we have tons of trails. dry, dusty, rocky trails so very little chance for any muddin'. As far as rust goes there is one spot on the drivers side fender where it took a hit and crinkled the metal. Little bit of rust around there. Other than that is all good solid 1981 American steel.
I often dream of walking through those junkyards in the southwest and dragging home some good sheetmetal for my homely projects.

I once drug home a 69 mustang uni-body that had been in the yard for 20 years. doors gone and no windshield. just some light surface rust that was easily removed with some sandpaper. Nothing else.

Man , if my yard weren't the postage sized excuse it is , I would still have a '68 SS 396 chevelle , wishful thinking of a '70 GTO , my old '78 cherokee , a .....

I've been a silent follower, and looks like this is so much fun. Would love to read some of funny lines 8177.

I can only do funny when I'm not thinking about it and not so full of turkey. I'm normally full of something else though. LOL

Thank you tarptruck . Welcome Jeepz.com :welcome:Thank you for your membership and hope you'll enjoy the forum. Your welcome to enjoy all the threads and posts . Hope you'll find entertainment along with helpful tech and many useful tips. I have to. Enjoy the threads and posts of 8177's jeep build . It presented its challenges but I'm sure it wasn't his first .
Thanks for sharing your build experience with us Jim . Thanks for being part of Jeepz.com

Thank you greg2jeepxj. I am really enjoying this community. :driving:

Back