new trany for 91 cherokee

CJ5_Will

I'm currently lookn for a new transmission for my cherokee i was wondering what year of transmissions from other cherokees would fit

I've got an AW4 from a '93 XJ that's yours for $150 +shipping from the St. Louis area. Not sure on year compatibility.

I'm thinking since the signature indicates an auto, those years *should* be direct bolt ons, don't think there were any significant changes...

What year did the 4.0 HO come out? That might make a difference, not entirely sure, doubt it...

Noiced you mentioned wishing you had a stick shift in your sig. I have a Jeep 5-speed(AX15) that should bolt up to your rig. I was going to put it on Ebay tonight but if your interested I would rather sell it to a Jeepz member.

a guy in a city real close has an 89 auto for 75 if I just come pick it up if that would work I'm planning on doing that but how hard would it be to switch to a stick and how much for standard trany

well with the standard conversion, you'd need a new pedal assembly, another hole in the firewall, clutch master & slave cylinders, and obviously the new transmission itself. its quite a conversion and most people agree that its more worthwhile to just find a jeep with the manual transmission in it already

also, you wouldn't be able to use your remote start (as easily)...

that said, my first jeep was a '90 XJ automatic, and now i'm driving a '94 XJ 5 speed, and i love it. i'd never go back, the manual transmission is amazing on and off road, and it gets me close to 20 mpg when i drive it like a grandpa

food for thought

Last edited:
your probaly right that it really would be better to just find a standard but does anyone know if that 89 auto will bolt up to my 91 i maybe selling my cherokee to my friend so I wanted to get a good trany in it so it wouldnt mess up on her

Last edited:
$250.00 for my standard transmission if your interested, plus shipping which is around $100.00 depending on location.

also, you wouldn't be able to use your remote start (as easily)...
is the clutch enguagement for start an electronic sensor or is it mechanical? if its just an electric switch you could bipass it. so long as the jeep was in netural electric start would be the same... still its a good chunk of work to switch styles of transmissions

i dont know man... you could forseeably accidentally hit the button when its in gear... it could drive into another car, drive over someone, etc... holy negligence suit!

i did think about that. Whenever i drive a manual reguardless of whether or not i park in gear the ebrake is always on so i figured it would only lurch forward rather and stall. Or do those remote starters keep cranking till the thing starts? Never messed with one (never owned a car newer than mid 90s so i never had such fun toys)

they crank for X # of seconds and stop, then if it doesn't sense spark after a little bit, it waits and cranks for a few more seconds... repeating until it starts. and you're ebrake isn't that strong, your starter is powerful enough to pull your jeep up and over things!

Back