new with a 73 cj5 V8

73cj5guy27

hi im james and new to this site and a new owner or a 73 cj5 with the 304 and 3 speed trans. i got it by trading a buddy my old 75 chevy 4x4 with no engine but a huge lift. the cj has a lift but was done wrong so my clutch doesnt work right and i have to turn it off put it in gear then start it to move it and the wiring is all messed up. but besides that it was a good trade but the question is i have a set of brand new 35 super swapers for it and it has 33's but if i take the body lift off and then move the leaf springs to the top of the axles will it clear and maybe fix the hole clutch deal. it seems when they did the body lift they didnt do anything with the clutch rods or anything

Hi,first off I would get a longer clutch linkage rod. Forgot the company
but I think 4WD has them they are nice and will not bind up or wear out.
You can get them longer then stock.Ok Next don't do a spring over.
Yeah it's cheap but it will cause issues.What gears do you have in your axles?If they are 3:73's stick with 33"s

ok well i want to take the body lift off because its messing up the body cause the way they did it. and i think there stock gears but the 33's r no good but i might just go to 31's and try and keep it all stock and i have a picture on my profile

iPhone user... I don't think I can view them. =\

ya cant get my pictures on here
image-missing.png

Welcome James,

I also have a 73cj5, They are great classic jeeps and only had that particular body 2 years. 72 and 73. Body lifts do create problems with clutch shifting when using manual clutch linkage. Specially while there is flex when off roading. I would recommend installing a hydraulic clutch and loosing the body lift. Hydraulic clutches are a pretty easy to install and a great upgrade. Check and see if you have a mount for the slave cylinder, if not you can have one welded on. A suspension lift would be a great choice. I like skyjacker. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is my 73

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 3,621

ya i was thinking about doing Hydraulic clutch swap but tight on money and everything so im taking the body lift off and ya but need smaller tires now which is going to suck

You could find a used hydraulic setup from a S-10 those work pretty good. A very cheap way to lift and keep those bigger tires, would be a shackle lift and add a leaf. That would be better then a big ole body lift. Good luck!

ya i was thinking about doing Hydraulic clutch swap but tight on money and everything so im taking the body lift off and ya but need smaller tires now which is going to suck

ya going to pull the body lift off in the next few days and could i keep my 33's on it. they rub a little but thats when turning

73cj5guy27 said:
ya its telling me to put the http address in and ya

Right underneath the spot where its telling you to put in the http/: address there shout be an option for choosing/browsing from your computer/phone system gallery. Click on that button. You should be able to figure it out from there.

so i put a longer arm from the paddle down and still the same thing although before i did that i notice that the body mount there had no nut on the bolt so i put one on and tried it and broke the welds on the mount. so anyone have any idea whats going on cause i have tried everything

and i was wondering if there should only be like a 1in on movement on the trans on the linkage

mattduran said:
Welcome James,

I also have a 73cj5, They are great classic jeeps and only had that particular body 2 years. 72 and 73. Body lifts do create problems with clutch shifting when using manual clutch linkage. Specially while there is flex when off roading. I would recommend installing a hydraulic clutch and loosing the body lift. Hydraulic clutches are a pretty easy to install and a great upgrade. Check and see if you have a mount for the slave cylinder, if not you can have one welded on. A suspension lift would be a great choice. I like skyjacker. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Here is my 73

That is a really nice lookin' jeep man...of course, im sure you already knew that. Its still fun to hear though right? =D

ya cant get my pictures on here
image-missing.png
do you have a web host like photo bucket if so click the direct link and copy
h-1.jpg

than paste it in this window to add it to your post

l1-1.jpg

this window is found on top of your text box click the envelope paste link than click ok

d-1.jpg

Back