No power to fuel pump

Glad you got it running. I couldnt help much with all the diagrams. When you check the u-joint, put the jeep in neutral, that will take any load off of the driveshaft, grab the shaft at the joint and twist, pull up, down, looking for any movement at the joint then do the same at the other end of the shaft.

Glad you got it running. I couldnt help much with all the diagrams. When you check the u-joint, put the jeep in neutral, that will take any load off of the driveshaft, grab the shaft at the joint and twist, pull up, down, looking for any movement at the joint then do the same at the other end of the shaft.

The good thing is , when you got a real cj5 to look at , you don't even have to worry about any potential inaccuracies a diagram might have , was grateful your jeep was of service to check some real world factual things that are of more help to anyone than some book , even my favorite one , my 1992 Chrysler jeep service manuals . I feel happy when a jeep owner can just walk out to his or her jeep and relay what they got on their jeep since its most likely original , or at the minimum , working ! That is what makes the difference to someone who needs desperately an answer than will work , better than any manual will ever be . Thanks again brother , Greg

P.S. - lets not forget the priceless value of the owners experience at wrenching on a jeep , that's more valuable than anything ! Appreciate your experience , that's what gets it done ! Always welcome too !

Last edited:

Many many thanks for all your help

Your more than welcome , I am very glad your up and running . I guess your back to maintenance as usual , our jeeps have a funny way of crying out for help and attention .
Sorry you had a rough time , but at least you had the privilege of tackling it in your driveway and not on the trail or the side of the road ! Hope all continues to work out !
P.S. - if the fuel pump fuse blows again ( hope not) I can only think that maybe the tank will have to be dropped and cleaned while your at it but the in-tank sock type filter will have to be changed . If they get plugged up , that causes the electric fuel pump to work even harder .
running low ( below 1/4 ) on fuel and plugged filters ( in-tank and in-line) are the number one killers of electric fuel pumps . Since this is national be kind to your electric fuel pump month , we all should change 'em out ! LOL ( just kidding about the holiday , more bus driver humor ! )

P.P.S. - I love that a forum can be better than any repair manual for these problems !

Changed u joint but there is a nut on rear end that shaft bolts on to it was loose what is the torge on hat nut should be

Sorry to miss your post . Assuming you have the Dana 35 rear , the pinion nut torque is 200 ft. Lbs. if that nut is loose , I fear that the pinion bearings are worn . After torquing , check rotation with inch pound torque wrench. Your looking for 10 inch pounds on rotation . Pay close attention as you rotate to maintain 10 inch pounds and feel if any binding is present. But I really believe you begin this procedure , the inspection cover should should removed . Before torquing , you want to see if there is movement on the pinion. This will be present at the pinion bearings. Also check side load by placing a wrecking bar and gently pry differential case checking if case bearings are loose. Replacement is the only fix , that's an axle rebuild. For now , torque pinion nut while holding pinion flange with a large pipe wrench. Next , check the rotational torque . Look for 10 inch lbs and hopefully no binding. Hope this rear is still serviceable .

Everything seamed to be ok tighten nut now all is good going to put 4 lift kit on this weekend

Really glad to hear that you can finally enjoy your prize CJ ! Hope all is going well with the build too , hope to receive the AMC manual soonest too . Guessing there may still be wiring to tend to and hope to get some diagrams to you as you need . Sorry this is taking too long , disappointing , but happy for you and your jeep ! Happy to help out , Greg

Back