No start

mhoran

This morning I went to start my '01 Wrangler and there was a 3-4 second pause with no cranking before the starter kicked in and started. It did not occur when I started it after work, but my check guage light came on and my battery needle was swaying back and forth between 9 and 15. I have never seen this. Any help in explaining would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

mhoran said:
This morning I went to start my '01 Wrangler and there was a 3-4 second pause with no cranking before the starter kicked in and started. It did not occur when I started it after work, but my check guage light came on and my battery needle was swaying back and forth between 9 and 15. I have never seen this. Any help in explaining would be great. Thanks.

Could have bad connection at batt or starter.

Re: Problem starting

Check your grounds and be sure the terminal connections are cleaned. Get your battery load tested. The winter’s cold temp helps point out failing batteries. And a loose connection or dirty one will cause issues.

I had a symptom on my F150 like this. The alternator brushes wore down and shorted together. That alternator had a cartridge type brush set you could pop in and out. I don't know if you alt is like that but it is something to look into.

Last edited:
Re: Problem starting

Thanks guys, I'll check those things. It hasn't been too cold here in CO this winter, but maybe it is time for a new battery anyways.

After checking the connections, have your battery and starter checked. BTW, i moved your thread on the jeep technical forum.

Back