no top end power

mtman

94-GCL--4.0--auto.--when going uphill or even at highway speeds when the trans has to downshift i lose power --it feels like i'm dragging an anchor--complete tune up done 1ooo mi. ago--just changed the fuel filter today--did not seem to help--checked exhaust flow at tailpipe--- seems to be good--could i still have a bad cat?--don't know how old it is--thanks for any help

Well ---- you describe a LOSS of Power going UP hills OR even at Highway Speeds. OK. What was done at the time of Tune-up? Also, do you see any sign of a check engine lite? Any DTC's being thrown? Codes? IF the CAT goes bad --- PCM will output a Code for: Low Efficiency on the Cat. Has the Trans. Been recently Serviced?? Stuck in: OD? ---- JB

full tune up--plugs -wires -cap and rotor---trans rebuilt 2k ago--shifting is normal-also have cleaned TB and new fuel filter

no CEL at this time--also i have a new O2 sensor to install--couldn't get the old one out--don't know if that would help

it cant hurt to change the O2;
another thought; My 97 XJ has always been "alright" on power, but it never was as good as my 01 was. It's better now than that 01 ever was.
(and yes I'd had this done at one time on the 01, too)

Consider this;
I have recently taken the injectors off of my 97 XJ, and took them into a BOSCH injection place near me; just the injectors themselves, off of the engine; look for a place that advertises diesel injection service.
for those in the west/SW Chicago suburbs, I know of another place out your way (I know where they are but not the company name) i can tell you. out on I-55 out by Willowbrook, I think its called Midwest Fuel Injection. this place is about an hour away from me.
the place I use is Triangle Diesel, a few miles southwest of Kankakee IL, about 6 miles from me.

they take them apart (didn't know it was possible) replace screens and flush them while testing them electrically under load.
This way you seperate them from the engine and wiring, and isolate them so you eliminate the "christmas tree lights" effect--you know, if a lower string blows a bulb it kills the whole string--- allows to evaluate each one by itself...

$15 per injector; many shops just replace them, at alot higher cost; not usually necessary. just have this done to your persent set.

I have never, "not" noticed a difference, between before and after; no matter how good the engine seemed to run before. I do this to every vehicle I own, at least once during the time I have it. just as a matter of maintenance

any time I have a miss I cant find, I take the injectors to these guys; I have salvaged many that could be considered "bad" due to clogging, and found a few electrical duds along the way. they haven't charged me to check out any that have wound up being "duds" electrically, and I have had a couple (few+far between) that have been so badly plugged that they could not be flushed out.... theyll tell you this. 95% won't be "this" badly plugged.

now you may see all kinds of shops advertising injector flushes; usually at higher cost;($120-150 is common around here) but that doesn't isolate them from each other, or compare one to any other on the engine, nor does that get you any internal screens replaced>>> and you cannot see the spray pattern while they are on the engine; not as good but costs more??? and depending on your fuel rail one may get alot of cleaner thru it while more stubborn ones or further from the inlet of the rail, get little or none... this is basically the fuel injectors' equal to a carburetor overhaul.... a set of 6 will cost you right at $100 to have done. Easy to pull from the engine; drop em off at 8, they'll call you that afternoon and tell you they are done.....

thanks -I will try to find a place near me --this is my daughters ride and has a habit of running the tank low--thats why i tried the filter--thanks again

thanks -I will try to find a place near me --this is my daughters ride and has a habit of running the tank low--thats why i tried the filter--thanks again
the "drawing dirt and crap when run low on gas" is somewhat an old wives tale; I mean you are always drawing from the bottom of the tank right?

the "drawing dirt and crap when run low on gas" is somewhat an old wives tale; I mean you are always drawing from the bottom of the tank right?
I agree, it also gets stirred and mixed while you drive. If there's trash in a 10gal tank there aren't too many places to hide.

i see your point -but wouldn't the dirt/debris be more concentrated in 5 gal. as opposed to 20?-either way I found an injector service co. to do my cleaning -will let you know how it comes out -thanks

running low on gas can give you filter problems because of air getting drawn in.

and just because not CEL codes are thrown, and you have strong exhaust pulse at pipe, doesn't mean cat isn't clogged. i checked all around mine last time and had a hard time diagnosing the same symptoms as yours, only to find out the cat indeed was busted. sometimes it's the easiest thing in the world to diagnose, sometimes not.

i see your point -but wouldn't the dirt/debris be more concentrated in 5 gal. as opposed to 20?-either way I found an injector service co. to do my cleaning -will let you know how it comes out -thanks
I guess everybody looks at it differently. The way I see it, if it's in there it'll give you problems sooner or later. If your just keeping it full tryn to dilute it what good is that? I've got 6 vehicals driven on a regular basis at my house. All have been run below "E" on the gauge many times, never any problems. Reguardless you've got a filter in the system (sometimes 3 if you count the sock at the pickup, the one under the hood and the one at the carb inlet) they'll catch the trash. If they don't the tank needed cleaning anyway.
I think it's something your old man would tell ya just because he didn't like you running all his gas out and not filling back up.

Yeah --- I. Tend to AGREE with the Previous poster. Conventional wisdom has always seemed to say: It TENDS to be better to keep some GAS in the Tank. But, on the other Hand you have Filters in the system to take the Crud out of the Fuel --- so, Either way it should be OK. I have TRIED it BOTH ways. --- Did not seem to make a difference either way! --- JB

Back