noise when in 4x4 and in a skid

newjeeper

i was playing around the other day in 4x4 with the clutch in and hit the brakes and skided a little . I heard a noise kinda like a u joint hitting itself is it just that one weel is still turing a little but and spinnig the drive axal and drive shaft is this normal ?
98 tj sport

edited by: newjeeper, Feb 25, 2003 - 10:22 PM[addsig]

Hmm are you saying that the 4wd doesn't work? In TJ's when you are in 2wd the front driveshaft should spin all the time...it just doesnt actually get power from the Tcase unless you are in 4wd.[addsig]

If you had the clutch in while you were slamming the brakes, then nothing is engaged to the axles. But as far as the t-case to the transmission... i guess they are engaged but not transferring power to the wheels. Do you have lockers? If not, then one wheel spinning is not surprising, and shouldn't cause any problems.

Go under the jeep and grab the driveshafts, without trying to yank them out of place, move them laterally and see if there is excessive movement, anything feel loose? If so, get to a shop. Just my NON-EXPERT opinion.

edited by: hi_c, Feb 26, 2003 - 07:59 AM[addsig]

I hear a sound, like u-joints screaming for mercy, every time a TJ turns it's wheels on the trail, and is spinning under heavy throttle. Sounds like the chattering u-joints in the front axle want to give up and go home :-O

You sure you didn't just hear the ABS? Not much else to hear when in a skid :-? [addsig]

Did you feel any feedback from the brake pedal? In my truck with ABS, you can definitely feel it through the pedal and hear it when the ABS kicks in during a skid.. [addsig]

it is in 4x4 when this happens and i know my 4x4 works no feed back from the brakes like abs and no play in drive shafts i had it on a lift yesterday and no lockers [addsig]

Back