not sure how much more

73cj5guy27

so im not sure how much more i can do to this cj. i already have 700 into it and not even close to be able to drive it on the road or trails. i need so much like tires, wheels, brakes, windshield frame, new tub, new seats, new gas tank and lines, new clutch and more so idk if i really want to go on with it. i traded it so i only have 700 into it right now so what do u guys think

so im not sure how much more i can do to this cj. i already have 700 into it and not even close to be able to drive it on the road or trails. i need so much like tires, wheels, brakes, windshield frame, new tub, new seats, new gas tank and lines, new clutch and more so idk if i really want to go on with it. i traded it so i only have 700 into it right now so what do u guys think

This is a tough one. For me and my Jeep VEX, which I love and have had for 20 years now, was a total when I got it. It was thrashed and a total fail from a wreck. Even the frame bent. I was driving a 1980 CJ7 with a failed 304 that I put a 258 in at the time I towed VEX out to the ranch in Montana, and also working on rebuilding another 7 and 2 CJ5s for resale.

As VEX evolved through about 2 years it ended up being my all time favorite Jeep I've ever had over 46 years of these things.

So, its subjective. I would never do this again, unless I had another VEX to drive around in. So, it is so subjective. If you have the interest and skill and money and time and there is a defined goal for the Jeep at the end, then yes, do it. If it is a burden and you have no Jeep to run right now--then, no, flee and get something that is at least off road capable.

I don't know if that is helpful or not, but I thought about your post and that is the best I come up with from my view.

VEX, today, 4-6-11, at 1,187,555 miles on 5, 6cyl. IL engines.

image-missing.png

Let us all know,

Robert

nice jeep. ya i have the time and skill to do it but no money plus i wanna move and everything cause still in parents house and everything so right now the jeep is being used as my moms trash bin which sucks cause no jeep should have to go through that even if its messed up. but i mean if i could get a few parts it needs just to be on the road then it would be something else but im having a hard time trying to find parts and so many ppl r telling me different things so my head is spinning but if i can sell some other toys then thats a maybe still but i guess i have to wait and see

Yes, you do. Or, think Jeep and nothing else and dial it up. How old are you, if I may ask? I got myopic on Jeeps with my first--1967--age 15. From then on, it opened up all my world, so ended up basing my life around it, along with my exposure to a telescope, again by my dad like the Jeeps, and eventually worked for a career at NASA.

It is all within dreaming distance.

Robert

well im almost 21 been trying to become a fire fighter but havent been so lucky the last 2 years and my dad says hes making me work for him but i am on call 24/7 and bust my a** and dont get paid or anything and have to help him cause im living with them and dont have a running car and it sucks cause i have 3 cars and no money to fix them or smog them but hopefully something works out cause my first car was a XJ so i always had a jeep and i know them really good but just cant find parts for the 73 cj5

well im almost 21 been trying to become a fire fighter but havent been so lucky the last 2 years and my dad says hes making me work for him but i am on call 24/7 and bust my a** and dont get paid or anything and have to help him cause im living with them and dont have a running car and it sucks cause i have 3 cars and no money to fix them or smog them but hopefully something works out cause my first car was a XJ so i always had a jeep and i know them really good but just cant find parts for the 73 cj5

Well then, your 80% there. You just have to get rid of the other cars, the noise, go full time as a firefighter (my agent is a fire fighter and Jeeper too) and then ramp up. Things always work out, for some reason. And the voyage is just beginning for you. Good.

Robert

i traded it so i only have 700 into it right now so what do u guys think
In the grand scheme of things $700 isn't a lot of money when it comes to vehicles, so you may want to reevaluate where you stand with this particular Jeep. Just a fiberglass tub will be around $2000. Get rid of the other vehicles for something you can drive every day and peck away at the Jeep as time and money permit. eBay and Craig's List are your friends. For example I just put together a set of factory aluminum wheels for my daughter's Jeep (it's her Jeep but I'm the gearhead in the family :lol: ) on eBay. When I say "put together" I mean that I hunted around for two months on eBay until I ended up with four of them, separately, at decent prices. I could do it that way because I didn't NEED new wheels. If you have another DD then you can afford to wait for a good deal on what you need or until you scrape up enough to pay for what you want next. The important thing is to set priorities and goals or else it will end up on CarsinBarns.com. Don't buy a $50 part because you have a spare $50 (unless it's a helluva deal) when you'd be better off to put the $50 toward something that costs $500 that is a more critical need to get the thing running.

(insert disclaimer that I'm an expert on Rangers, not Jeeps)

Assuming it needs to be pretty much rebuilt, then start the way the factory built them. Is the frame good? What kind of shape is the body in? No point in dropping a new tub on a crap frame, knowhutahmean? Then brakes, then engine, then transmission, then body, I'd do axles last unless they're fragged because they can usually wait.

73cj5guy27 said:

Dude I think I'm about your age. I have a 75 cj5 there are parts all over the place, you just gotta look for them like craigslist, eBay etc.... I have had Jen( that's my jeep) about 2.5 years now, it will be expensive but you got to love the jeep and the work and get a decent job or all that money you sunk into it will be worthless. For me I have spent about I'd say 4-5 grand and it was well worth it I have hade so much fun building it. But I was able to finance it, so once you can do that it will get fun and less of a burden. If you can't work on it now then I'd say find it a good resting spot and save up for the build and plan in excess.

ya i been trying to get a good steady job but in this small town its hard. i mean to drive it just needs tires, clutch, brakes and tags and be good to drive but i want it to be completely done before it hits the road

keep plugging away man youll get it. if i waited till any of mine were completely done before i put em on the road id still be walking, theyre never completely done.

This is a tough one. For me and my Jeep VEX, which I love and have had for 20 years now, was a total when I got it. It was thrashed and a total fail from a wreck. Even the frame bent. I was driving a 1980 CJ7 with a failed 304 that I put a 258 in at the time I towed VEX out to the ranch in Montana, and also working on rebuilding another 7 and 2 CJ5s for resale.

As VEX evolved through about 2 years it ended up being my all time favorite Jeep I've ever had over 46 years of these things.

So, its subjective. I would never do this again, unless I had another VEX to drive around in. So, it is so subjective. If you have the interest and skill and money and time and there is a defined goal for the Jeep at the end, then yes, do it. If it is a burden and you have no Jeep to run right now--then, no, flee and get something that is at least off road capable.

I don't know if that is helpful or not, but I thought about your post and that is the best I come up with from my view.

VEX, today, 4-6-11, at 1,187,555 miles on 5, 6cyl. IL engines.

image-missing.png

NICE!

well been doing some welding on the tub and fenders so now were pulling the tub off either today or tomorrow. the tub is beat. has big holes were the rear drive line came off and started hitting the tub so idk if getting a new tub will be the best idea cause dont really wanna waste time and money trying to fix it when i can just get a new tub but i must say the jeep looks sweet with out the fenders on it haha.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
i mean to drive it just needs tires, clutch, brakes and tags and be good to drive but i want it to be completely done before it hits the road

Wrod of advice; do NOT wait for it to be completely done, because, as far as I know, then only time you are DONE with a Jeep is when you either sell it or total it... Otherwise, you are ALWAYS adding, taking off or modding something!

Now, for what you need, look around; the internet is your friend here. Just get what you need to get her road ready, and drive the heck out f it. The rest, you can fix up on the weekends as time goes by...

well i work 24/7 and only get like 30 mins at a time to mess with it so im just going to get another car going and slowly work on the jeep but tub is off and goignto start doing body work soon and hoping to paint it by the end of summer

Back