odometer fraud

B.Jones

Well I went to sell my jeep today and the buyers insurance company did a carfax report and it turns out the guy I bought it from changed the odometer. So my jeep says it has 87,000 miles but it really has around 165,000 miles. I'm waiting to hear from my lawyer tomorrow. I'm willing to bet I have the worst luck out of all the jeepz.com members. Anyone got any ideas on what I can do.

How long have you had it? Got anything to do with that 2004 Rubi dash mentioned in your sig?

I've had it for a year. It could have something to do with it. The second owner put the 04 dash in it. When the second owner bought it the title still showed well over 100,000 miles on it. Carfax stated that the mileage changed under the second owner. So the second owner knew how many miles were on it when he bought it. But when he sold it to me he lied about the mileage. I wouldn't have bought it, much less looked at it knowing it had over 150,000 miles on it.

Didnt you look at the title when you bought it ? It has the miles at last transfer , so if it had 100,000 on it when he got it , it would have said so.

It took 6 weeks for me to get the title because it was held by a bank. When I registered it the bill of sale said 85,000 and I honestly don't remember what the title said. I filled out the back of it and the lady at the judge of probate didn't catch it either when I was registering it. I never thought to check the title for the mileage.

Probably changed with swapping the gauge cluster for the '04 unit, and the previous owner did not disclose it.

If you still have the bill of sale, sounds like you have an open and shut lawsuit against the previous owner for not disclosing the change in mileage. The bill of sale, coupled with the carfax report, should be plenty of evidence.

The bill of sale is held at my courthouse. My lawyer is suppose to contact me to do. I just wonder what all I get out of this. The jeep apparantely wasn't worth what I paid for it , plus no one wants to buy a jeep when they don't know how many miles are on it.

You can probably seek the difference in what the jeep was worth, plus attorneys fees. You could probably also seek a full refund if you wanted, and be willing to return the jeep.

Laws are going to vary state to state. I would definitely consult with a lawyer about pursuing any remedies. Keep all your documentation. Try to find a KBB or a NADA guide from the time when you bought your Jeep in order to establish what the correct value would have been at that time. Remember that these guides and a Carfax report would both be considered hearsay in most courts and inadmissable as evidence. I would strongly suggest consulting a lawyer rather than trying to pursue your own remedy through small claims court.

I have been in contact with a lawyer. I would rather have a full refund if that was possible. I wouldn't have bought it knowing it had over 150,000 miles. I wouldn't have got it with just 100,000 miles. It's going to be hard for me to sale it when I cannot give a buyer the exact mileage. My lawyer is suppose to get back in touch with me this evening. I'll post any new info.

Back