Oil Leak

sjo426

I have an oil leak and was looking for some opinions. I have a 78CJ7 with the 304. Well recently I took off the factory air cleaner assembly and replaced it with the crome K&N style air cleaner. Well that is when my problem started. After driving oil is pooling up on the water pump just below the intake manifold. I can see what looks like splattered oil on some of the hoses in that area. Now when the jeep is just sitting there and running I can't see any leaking but when I drive it and stop there it is. One thing I did is the tube where the oil goes that runs down throught the intake and into the motor had an opening where a tube went from it to the old air cleaner. I just plugged it but later found out that I should remove the plug. Well now I am wondering if when driving if oil is now coming out of that opening. I put the old cleaner back on tonight and am going to give it a test drive in the morning. So I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this.
Thanks

I think what you plugged is the hose to the pcv valve, and I bet that is related to the oil leaking out. Hopefully hooking the hose back up will solve the problem. It's not necessary to install the original air cleaner to hook it back up, though. With my after market air cleaner i just drilled a hole, installed a barb, and hooked the hose up to the air cleaner. It was a $20 air cleaner assembly though, not a K&N.

RE: DESPERATE... help please

Sounds like you had unintentionally created excessive crankcase pressure - the engine rotating mass plus heat builds up internal pressure and pushes oil out anywhere and everywhere it can seep (front of intake &/or top of timing chain cover). Venting to the atmosphere helps, but hooking back to a vacumn source thru a PCV valve is the proper method (like it was before the air cleaner upgrade) LBR

Back