One more question???

jchooper12

Concerning the 2006 Wrangler Unlimited, have there been any reaccuring reported issues with this Jeep. Do they go to the shop alot or are they built really well. My Jetta TDI has had multiple issues since I purchased it and when the towtrunk driver and I talked he told me that he see's more VWs and BMW than anything. How well are they built for the 06 models and what should I watch out for? Thanks!!! Oh, also, what is everyones view on the automatic vs stick? I drive a stick shift now but man I miss the automatic.

Last edited:

Haven't heard much as far as repetitive issues, just a few different things here and there that seem to be unrelated and happen only once. As far as the stick vs. auto, that's up to you, but I love the stick in my Jeep!

I am going to be new to off roading (well, grew up as a kid off roading with my brothers but too young to drive at that time) so when out and about on the trails, will I notice a difference in performance between the auto and stick? Can you do more with the stick?

I am going to be new to off roading (well, grew up as a kid off roading with my brothers but too young to drive at that time) so when out and about on the trails, will I notice a difference in performance between the auto and stick? Can you do more with the stick?

Transmission choices are basically a matter of personal preference.

My personal opinion is that automatics are for girls. ;) But I don't have to drive mine on a daily basis.....I'm sure if I had to commute in it I would have put an auto in when we built it..... wait a sec, No I wouldn't have......automatics are for girls.:lol:

Ok

So does the auto perfrom any differently from the stick, I will be driving it in heavy traffic daily so that is my only concern. But if it lacks in ability due to the lack of stick shift then I will get the stick. I am at one with my manliness
8)

firemanharry said:

My personal opinion is that automatics are for girls. ;) But I don't have to drive mine on a daily basis.....I'm sure if I had to commute in it I would have put an auto in when we built it..... wait a sec, No I wouldn't have......automatics are for girls.:lol:
Lots of "girls" in competitive rock crawling these days. I don't think there is a single manual left.

get the manual, before you know it you'll be in rush hour traffic eating a breakfast sandwich while drinking your coffee and talking on your cell phone while steering with your knees and shifting with your cell phone hand :lol: it just takes practice

OutOfStep said:
get the manual, before you know it you'll be in rush hour traffic eating a breakfast sandwich while drinking your coffee and talking on your cell phone while steering with your knees and shifting with your cell phone hand :lol: it just takes practice
Got a ticket for that in rush hour traffic last year.

I've wheeled both sticks and autos, and I prefer the stick. Something about the auto just doesn't feel right, plus I like to be in control of what gear I'm in and like to be able to freewheel at will without shifting out of gear. As for commuting, I still prefer the stick over auto. Always have...probably always will.....

My reeeeeally big "pole cat" at work is a 6 speed manual and my Jetta TDI is a 5 speed manual. Wouldn't have them any other way.

After owing 2 manual trans YJ's, then driving my old XJ offroad and starting to get more play time on rocks, I came to appreciate the auto trans for the transmission of choice offroad.

MY YJ is a 3 speed auto... I miss the 5 speed while kicking around town, but I don't miss it offroad at all.

I will say the XJ had an annoying gear selector with the lowest choic3e being "1-2". The newer (03+) TJ's with the same trans ahve 1, 2, and OD (3rd and 4th)

Last edited:
redrooster said:
Lots of "girls" in competitive rock crawling these days. I don't think there is a single manual left.

X2, I don't think I'd call any of those guys "girls"

Dustin Webster
image-missing.png

Some other dude
berger1800x600-3.jpg

Wish I could find some of Dustins wife driving, shes pretty nasty too.

TwistedCopper said:
My reeeeeally big "pole cat" at work is a 6 speed manual and my Jetta TDI is a 5 speed manual. Wouldn't have them any other way.

After owing 2 manual trans YJ's, then driving my old XJ offroad and starting to get more play time on rocks, I came to appreciate the auto trans for the transmission of choice offroad.

MY YJ is a 3 speed auto... I miss the 5 speed while kicking around town, but I don't miss it offroad at all.

I will say the XJ had an annoying gear selector with the lowest choic3e being "1-2". The newer (03+) TJ's with the same trans ahve 1, 2, and OD (3rd and 4th)

I've been debating putting an auto in my Jeep...

And man, I just bought a new Jetta, didn't splurge for the TDI, but did get the 5 speed. Its fun to drive around town.

currupt4130 said:
I've been debating putting an auto in my Jeep...

And man, I just bought a new Jetta, didn't splurge for the TDI, but did get the 5 speed. Its fun to drive around town.

You won't regret either of those decisions

Either one would perform fine for what you're looking to do with your ride.

If I had realized he was going to be doing hardcore professional rockcrawling I wouldn't have tried my attempt at humor with the "girl" statement.

I hope noone was offended by my poor judgement.

firemanharry said:
If I had realized he was going to be doing hardcore professional rockcrawling I wouldn't have tried my attempt at humor with the "girl" statement.

Well we dont know that yet, but the possiblity is there :D

Well, I am going with the automatic route, I just drive way too much in traffic to enjoy a stick. I believe I said my Jetta is a stick shift but I drive way too much in stop and go traffic that a am tired of it. So hope I do not come off like a girl but that is my reason, hehe

firemanharry said:

THAT'S RIGHT!! But REAL women, they WANT stick! HA! Funny as I say that with my blown out clutch knee propped up on the PC tower!!! My knee is blown out and I am PRAYIN' TO GOD that it's not from this stinkin' stick that I paid WAY too much for and just learned to drive... Hubby just now removed his neck brace and it's been like 2.5 months!! HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A NEW STICKIN' JEEPER THAT HAS TO GO AUTOMATIC!!!!!! And, as luck would have it... I just finally sold my AUTOMATIC Explorer..... I could have switched the sale sign to the Jeep..... but NOOOOO! Too late now........If I absolutely HAD to, I would get an AT....Stick is fun, but if I had to get rid of it from this knee, I would rather have AT than NO JEEP AT ALL... COME ON!

Last edited:
firemanharry said:
I hope noone was offended by my poor judgement.

Geez man, I don't think anybody took it for anything less than good fun. If anyone was offended by that they need to take a vacation or something.

TwistedCopper said:
Geez man, I don't think anybody took it for anything less than good fun. If anyone was offended by that they need to take a vacation or something.

Yeah, I make poor judgement calls at least once an hour every day, and I don't get offended by myself...oh....wait....what does that mean?:confused: Oh, heck....never mind.....:lol:

Back