Opinions on this Jeep... It could be my first. '95 with 58k.

Conrad906

Im a Jeep noob still searching for my first. this one looks like a pretty good deal (minus a few bucks). I'm really in love with the idea of an earlier Wrangler that hasn't been modified, has low miles, and hasn't seen the trail.

I can't link to it because Jeepz.com wont let me since I haven't posted 5 times. I'll give you the specs and the autotrader.com id# so ya'll can check it out if you want. AutoTrader ID: AT-10D7976E

1995, garage stored standard 4cyl. 58k. Never been in mud. Red with grey interior. Black soft top.

This is for a second vehicle and gonna be used just to mess around with. No commuting, and at this point, no real offroading. My questions are: What should I look for as far as problems with older Jeeps are concerned. Any tell-tale signs? What about this year model? Any problems specific to the 1995 models? And, What are your opinions of this particular jeep?

Thoughts?

if your good with it being a four cylinder, just check for rust

The 95 is a pretty good year for a Jeep; you get the better engine (MPFI, etc.) with the simplicity of leaf springs (if you want to lift it, leaf springs are simpler than coils, although they are also a bit harsher once you lift them). Things to look for is mostly rust in the tup (look under the Jeep).

Now, as far as the engine goes, the 4-banger is an extremely reliable engine. It is also a very good engine for offroading. Where it really lacks power is at highway speeds, especially on a lifted Jeep.

As far as things that tend to act up on this jeep, I would say the most common are:
Rust (check around where the body sits on the frame)
The transmission, but if the Jeep is not modded, I doubt it will have any issues
The vacuum servo for the front axle disconnect (easy to bypass or eliminate and only affects for 4WD)
The rear axle (but again, with the stock setup, I really doubt it will have any issues; could be a problem if you are thinking 35" tires and lockers, but otherwise, you should be fine)
Vacuum line leaks (again, cheap and easy to fix; a bit of a PITA to find, but not a major issue)

In all honesty, the Jeep seems to be in really good condition...

Felipe

i like the yjs the best. like jfrabat said leafs are way simpler and theres just less frivolous stuff on there. i personally like a i6 better but if everything else checks out i wouldnt let that stop me from getting it.

Of course i emailed the guy the day i posted this and he sold it that next morning. Dammit.

The search continues.

In the meantime, whats the general consensus among jeepers regarding automatics? Is the answer the one I think im gonna get? that they're not real jeeps? or what?

Its all personal preference. I know lots of guys with automatics, but, personally, I wouldn't ever want one. There's just too may upsides IMO to having a clutch when wheeling. Antother thing to keep in mind is that replacing a clutch is much cheaper that replacing an auto transmission.... Haha! I was trying really hard to be unbias about the matter, but I guess it didn't work out. Just do whatever you like best.

When looking for any jeep always look for rust in any low spots in the tub. Also just because the seller the 4wd has never been used it doesn't mean it's Gona be in good working order, those internal parts need to be used from time to time to keep from getting gummed up and not stick or hang up when you need it the most.

Back