Opinons wanted

Vanmantraveler

OK I am on the fence here.... I am more then willing to listen to all Edgimikated, Pea brained, and wild ass guesses from all comers....

I have a 81 CJ5 that I picked up out of a field for free... Not that there is much left of the body after sitting there since the early 90's. But anyway that will be fixed in due time. Stock it came with the old reliable but way under powered 2.5L GM cast iron duke and a 4 speed Weakbox, stacked infront of the ever popular Dana 300. (I can already see the twin stick sticking out of the floor in my mind!!!!!)

So now after flapping my fingers around for 5 minutes, time for the question.... I know I will be sorry for this.....: What Motor/Transmission combo should I stack into the frame rails?

The way I was thinking I have three ways to go... ALL by the way 5 Speeds... These are not in any order by the way.
First choice 4.0 L H.O.
Second 5.7L chevy Throttle port Injection (hummm where to put the puter so it will not get wet forging the water traps at the local golf course?)
Third 4.3L Throttle port injection (Throttle port... easy to Snorkle...)

I know I know... the stock CJ tooth pick axles will not hold up but that too will change. looking for a front 44 to go with the 44 rear I just picked up... Grand Cherokee unit... can you say wider axle?.

Thanks for the Input PPLS...

Troy

Get rid of the Grand d44, it has an aluminum center chunk and they are junk. Not to mention the 5x4.5" lug pattern limits you to weak front axles.

I would go with either Chevy option, preferably the 4.3L for its power to weight ratio.

OK so with 190 HP and 250 Ft TQ should do the job... The wife unit's old XJ only had 177 HP and 224 TQ so with a bit(?) shorter truck it should be a wild ride. Now I must Look up some way to get a T5 to hook to the Dana 300.
I know Advance adapt or Novac will have what I need.

Thanks for the Input

I stroked a 4.0 liter and it has plenty of of power. I wanted to say that Bounty Hunter hit the nail on the head with axels. I just waiting for mine to break. This web site is great.

I would say, if you wanted to spend the time and mooola, 4.6 Stroker.

Stroker motors are a bit spendy once you get down to it.... Going stock is easy and much cheaper.... Now cam and head stuff like that is a totally another story. I am going 5.7L or 5.3L chevy....makes things easy that way... many many aftermarket parts out there to find.

Sorry I have trouble being persuaded. How about a 4.0 with a ported and polished head with some of the head surface taken off (higher compression ratio), Moderate Cam, Wrapped Headers with an exhaust, some serious intake work done, MAP Adjuster (one of my favorites) and Iridium plugs? If that doesnt tickle your fancy I would go with a gm 347 LS1. I've never seen a supercharged v6 L67 (another one of my favorites) in a jeep. That would be way more fun than an LS1. If your going with a 5.3 or a 5.7 (same block and similar heads different stroke) you would be going down a road that will never have an end. I guess I just favor reliability/ease. But thats just MHO.

I have the 4.6 and it runs good! did you say that you did adjust your MAP sensor? I have pleanty of power just always looking for more I guess I'm a hP freak.

I'm with mrmopar here. I love the inline 6's. If I didn't want an inline 6, though, I would go with the 4.3 chevy with a nv4500/dana 300 setup. That would be a little more different than the hum drum v8 conversions in Jeeps.

Back