OT- First Miltary Funeral

LadyJeepFreak

Have any of you ever particpated in a miltary funeral, active duty?

I had a young family friend that was killed in Iraq about two weeks ago. We have had a horrible two weeks. My brother was close to him and all of us knew him.

The family had two sons close in age, 26 and 28. This soldier was 26 and had spent two years meeting the requirements to be a marine and got in last year. He was in just over a year. He was not married yet nor had children.

He was sent to Iraq this past January and killed by a sniper in a non-hostile (yea, right) incident during late April.

I have marked active military funerals right up on my list of "hope I never have to" again. It is second after the funeral of a small baby or child.

I had to attend one of those one time for a four month old step neice and it was the worst event of that entire year.

Yesterday we had his interment at Arlington National Cemetary in DC. I had never been there or to a military funeral.

When they play taps and did his 21 guns salute, there wasn't a dry eye in the field. I was suprised at how many people drove the three hours to his interment. He will be missed by many.

The staff at the cemetary were very kind and professional to us though and the ceremony, while short and a bit unfamiliar was beautiful and impressive.

The plot he is in is full of other active military soldiers that died in Iraq.

Standing there in a field of lost soldiers, both in older and fresh graves (without headstones) sure put a turn on this war for me.

It gave me a whole different outlook on military action. I will keep the whole of that to myself, but it just amazed me how it changed me.

I am sure it changed alot of people, for good or worse.

I will always keep all soldiers families a bit closer to my heart now. I pray that everyone else does too.

It saddens me that it took an event like this one to make me or others realize the sacrifice soldiers and thier families make for this nation, whether they believe in the cause or not.

I have always supported soldiers and soldiers families, but in a whole different light now that I have seen the other end of this sacrifice.

Lady

I've been to several military funerals during my career and every one of them had just about everyone in attendance in tears. A friend of mine here is actually a supervisor for military honors team. I've told her many times that I couldn't do what she does and I don't know how she does it. Her answer every time is that no matter how sad it is during the funeral that it's a greater honor to be able to perform the service for the family.

I sincerely hope you never have to go to one again. Thanks for thinking of us.

RE: Tailgate Replacement?

I used to play for military funerals when I was in high school (trumpet player). Me and a buddy would switch off playing the "main" taps and the "echo". They always moved me very much......mostly Vietnam and WWII Vets. Sad, very sad.....21 gun salute and the folding of the flag...............

Sad as they were, one thing I enjoyed was that we'd always get served a couple of beers (I was 16) back at the legion hall. Sorry, inappropriate, I know, but that's my memories.

RE: Tailgate Replacement?

Yeah, I've played taps at two military funerals, way back in Jr. High. I've also attended several others since. Never been to one yet that taps didn't bring a tear to my eye.....

LadyJeepFreak wrote:

Have any of you ever particpated in a miltary funeral, active duty?

Yes, as bystander and member of an honor guard-firing party while on active duty.

"Taps"

"Fading light dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar drawing nigh -- Falls the night.

"Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky.
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

"Then good night, peaceful night,
Till the light of the dawn shineth bright,
God is near, do not fear -- Friend, good night."

LJF -- I am sorry for your loss.

Respectfully,

Gadget

PS: For what it might be worth to those who might one day have to deal with the death of an elderly veteran, honor guards and/or firing details are often available through your local Veteran Services Organizations (VSOs): American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars or Vietnam Veterans of America.

In many locations, the military will be unable to supply a funeral detail of active-duty soldiers, sailors, airmen or Marines. The VSOs are an alternate means of obtaining the services of personnel to carry out military burial honors.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Times are changing and so is my ride

police funerals are similar. The bag pipes piping out "amazing grace" birngs everyone to tears and sends chills down your spine. One funeral had me crying hysterically along with other guys, after the coffin is set into the ground and the priest makes his speech, someone in the distance calls out the officers id number as if calling him on the radio, but gets no reply. This is repeated 3 times, then someone else in distance says the officers id number is 10-42 (police lingo for finished tour of duty) It is the saddest moment in the ceremony

dropseys said:
police funerals are similar. The bag pipes piping out "amazing grace" birngs everyone to tears and sends chills down your spine. One funeral had me crying hysterically along with other guys, after the coffin is set into the ground and the priest makes his speech, someone in the distance calls out the officers id number as if calling him on the radio, but gets no reply. This is repeated 3 times, then someone else in distance says the officers id number is 10-42 (police lingo for finished tour of duty) It is the saddest moment in the ceremony

I went to a funeral for a paramedic that was hit by a drunk driver while working another DUI accident. At the end of the service, a walkie talkie was placed on the closed casket, the dispatcher paged his unit's call tones and said "Final Call for EMS #475". That hurt. That hurt real bad.

Re: I found a place finally!

Inspector-Gadget said:
LadyJeepFreak wrote:

"Taps"

"Fading light dims the sight,
And a star gems the sky, gleaming bright.
From afar drawing nigh -- Falls the night.

"Day is done, gone the sun,
From the lake, from the hills, from the sky.
All is well, safely rest, God is nigh.

"Then good night, peaceful night,
Till the light of the dawn shineth bright,
God is near, do not fear -- Friend, good night."

---------------------------------------------------------

Gadget I didn't know these words. They mean alot. Thank you so much and for the kind words everyone.

lady

LadyJeepFreak said:
He was sent to Iraq this past January and killed by a sniper in a non-hostile (yea, right) incident during late April.

A "non-hostile" sniper incident, eh? What, then, is hostile? Some of these categorizations are very misleading but I'll leave it at that.

My sympathies to you and their family...and yes I've been to a military funeral as well...and several memorials.

Back