Squealing squeaking noise when turning steering wheel help

laredo2006

Hello,

When I turn my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 steering wheel left or right it will cause a grind or rubbing/screeching like noise which is especially loud with an echo in underground parking garages. It has gotten worse and worse over the years where now I can pretty much hear it on the streets outside. Could it be the CV joints or? At first I thought the tires were touching the fenders or front bumper or something. It sounds a bit like a screech, when a car does a sharp turn, that type of noise. Also, Power steering oil change was done around 2 years ago. It also does the noise while I'm driving, not when I'm parked I believe, will double check this after work.

Please advise? Thanks.

Could it be one of these: (Loose steering belt or bearing? What bearing though?)

Loose Steering Belt

The whining noise mostly arises due to a loose power steering belt. When you take a turn, the belt travels through the steering wheel pump's pulley. When it has gone loose, it does not follow its normal trajectory over the pulley and slips. This happens when the tension on it increases during a turn. That causes the whining noise.

Ergo, checking the steering belt might just help solve the mystery. To do that, you must open the hood and have a look at the power steering assembly. Check for the tension on the belt. If it's loose, just tightening the belt might solve the problem. Refer to your car manual for belt tightening instructions.

Here is a simple way to get rid of the whining noise, by tightening the steering wheel pump's belt, if that indeed is the only problem. The things you will need are a wrench and pry bar.

Open the car hood and locate the power steering assembly. Locate the power steering pump and adjust arm bolt, as well as mounting bolt connected with it. Power steering pump is always located on the engine side and is usually attached with two bolts. The upper one, which is fixed, is the mounting bolt and the lower one which is movable is the adjusting arm bolt. The lower one can usually be slid through a mounting bracket for adjustment.

To tighten the pump belt, you have to pull the steering pump away as far as possible. Loosen the adjusting arm bolt to adjust along with mounting bolt. Pull the power steering pump away till the belt is tight enough. Once you think it's tight enough, tighten adjusting bolt firmly using a wrench along with the mounting bolt. With that, your problem should be fixed. Otherwise, you will have to go for a change in the bearings and get the pump checked. Although the procedure is simple enough, it is still advisable that you hand the job over to a skilled mechanic.

Worn-out Pump Bearings

Another problem causing the whining might be worn pump bearings. If the whining persists, even after tightening the belt, you will have to check for worn bearings. Getting the bearings checked and replaced, is again a job best handled by professionals.

I ruled out the power steering pump because I don't have difficulty at all turning the steering wheel, it actually feels just a little bit loose. A little bit.

Possible Causes

In most cars, this loud whining noise that accompanies steering, often borders on what could be described as squealing. It becomes loudest during the turn and then drops down. Here are some of the most likely causes that may lead to the noise.

Bad Power Steering Pump

Many people would attribute this noise to a problem caused by a bad power steering pump. If this is indeed the case, you will also notice an increase in the degree of effort required to turn the wheel. Fluid leaks and difficulty in centering the wheel might be an indicator of a bad pump. A problem with the input shaft of the pump might also cause the noise. In either case, if you notice all these symptoms together, along with considerable noise, it is time to get the pump checked from an authorized service center.

It ended up being rust in the back side of the front rotors. Just needs a regular brake service 85$.

I'm surprised by that. I get rust on my rotors all the time - especially if I don't drive for a few days. Normally it sounds terrible the first couple of times I hit the brakes, but after that the rust gets worn away.

Thanks for updating the thread.

Yah dust shield running or rock stuck between dust shield and rotor. Are some common issues when brakes or wheels squeal . Fringing can be the rivets from the Ladin the rotor.

Back