over heats wheb i run my a/c

pnts65

I have a 1996 grand chrerokee limited, v8. I replaced the radiator last year. had the cooling system flushed before winter, recently I changed the water pump and the thermostat, and had my freeon charged. My jeeps temp. starts to rise when i run my a/c, and only when i run my a/c. I was thinking maybe my compressors my be bad. Does this sound right? what else could it be?

How much is it rising? The air conditioning system is basically blowing heat over your radiator, making it more difficult to cool off the coolant from the engine. If you're not in the red zone, and not tripping any warning lights, I wouldn't be too worried. It will run hotter than if you were not using the A/C, that's all there is to it. :)

I agree here, keep it on and see what happens... Mine had a heck of an overheating issue for months last year when I cemented the radiator with mud, I've been paranoid like crazy this last week running the A/C, but it's resting around 220 and not going any higher... Still paranoid though :D Been in the high 90s here in Michigan, with storms, so it's AC or nothing.

it gets over 200 dergrees when i turn on the a/c, but when it hits 210-215 dergrees i turn off the a/c, and the temp. goes down to normal(190 degree). i have not actually left the a/c on to see if would actually turn on any warnig gauges. Is it ok to run at 215 degrees? I might be too worried about it. thanks for all your help. I am new to this link, but i will stick around, you guys really helped. thanks again. Josh

Last edited:

pnts65 said:
I have a 1996 grand chrerokee limited, v8. I replaced the radiator last year. had the cooling system flushed before winter, recently I changed the water pump and the thermostat, and had my freeon charged. My jeeps temp. starts to rise when i run my a/c, and only when i run my a/c. I was thinking maybe my compressors my be bad. Does this sound right? what else could it be?

first, I hope you did not pay someone to change your freon. There is really no reason to ever just suck out the old and put in new unless a compressor fails or you develop a leak. but if your temp goes up when the A/C kicks on, make sure that the auxillary electric fan is kicking on with the compressor. Your system should have a manual belt driven fan and a secondary electric fan that comes on when the temp gets above ??? degrees or whenever the A/C kicks on.

My ZJ runs at 210 under normal conditions with the A/C off... with it on I see about 220. this is normal. It has to hit like 240 before you need to worry. Today's engines are designed to run at 210 degrees.. the days of 190 are gone.

Back