Part Time light wont go off

The Butcher

A week ago or so, I noticed my part time light was on. It never went on before, in 2WD or 4WD. After a day, it went off. So I assumed that a sensor was frozen or something. Lately it's been going on and off, flickering... just wont go away. Is it just a loose wire or something?

The light is grounded through the switch. I'd suspect you have a wire shorting out somewhere and finding ground.

I'll be sure to check that out. Im assuming it cant be much else. I've tried putting it in 4x4 and 2x4 afew times and that did nothing. Thanks for the tip.

Does your front axle have the disconnect on the pass. side axle housing? If so, the disconnect could be engaging, causing the light to come on.

I know this is an old thread, but the best one I found so far for the question I have. I bought a 2002 Liberty today and tonight I noticed the part time light is on when the selector is in 2WD. Then when I shift up into "Part Time" the Full time light comes on, and when I put it into 4WD "Fu;; Time" the lights go off. Then in 4LO the 4 Low light comes on. I notice that it is hard to turn when in 2WD with the Part Time light on. Anyone ever have this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Remember this is my first Jeep, I don't have a Haynes manual yet, nor an owner's manual either. Sort of relying on your help at this point.

Shouldn't be. Find the shift linkage under the Jeep and there should be an adjustment nut to loosen on a long rod section of the linkage. Loosen the nut and manually put the transfer case in 4lo. Then pull the shift lever into 4lo and tighten the adjustment nut.

Did I mention that, with the exception of 2WD, the vehicle acts as you would expect it to? Meaning... when I put it in 4lo as indicated by the lever, it drives in 4lo. the in 4 hi it droves like it's in 4hi even though the indicator lights are off. To me the linkage to the transfer case is correct, but something signalling the TCM and dash lights may be set incorrectly. Does that make sense?

Back