Performance Chip

JMSeiver

I just bought a brand new 2004 Wrangler 2.4L cylinder w/ 5 speed manual transmission. I bought the smaller engine for economy (it is mainly a work car) but could use a little more power. A Jet Performance Chip is available for this engine but I am afraid of voiding my warranty. Can you install the chip only (no other mods) and still get more power? Would the dealer know if I had the chip installed? Thanks

i'm pretty sure when its time for the dealership to do its thing or ya need to get somthing fixed under warrenty it can be just pulled out pretty easy.

Hi,

I've always been under the impression that the JET chips are basically meant to replace your Jeep's computer, or if not, splice into it's harness. Either way, Yes it would be easy to see that it is there. If it was me, I woudn't spend the money on one :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

LGR said:
i'm pretty sure when its time for the dealership to do its thing or ya need to get somthing fixed under warrenty it can be just pulled out pretty easy.

I have checked out chips for jeeps and no one really makes a good one.For the price of one, you could spend it on other mods and make more power.

do the chips REALLY do much good? if so, why are they not in there from the factory

Save your money, it's pretty much snake oil for the 4banger. Save the cash for an airtube and performance exhaust, that's where you'll see your biggest gains.

Hope the 2.4L is not as pathetic as I hear. I've read it leaves a lot to be desired, with more dismal numbers than the MPFI 2.5L engine it replaced.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Save your money, it's pretty much snake oil for the 4banger. Save the cash for an airtube and performance exhaust, that's where you'll see your biggest gains.

Hope the 2.4L is not as pathetic as I hear. I've read it leaves a lot to be desired, with more dismal numbers than the MPFI 2.5L engine it replaced.
I agree, its not worth the $$$ for the half a % in performance boost you'll get... it's all hype.

no the chip is a waste of time. You will get the most for your buck with a cold air intake and good exhaust system. or if you really want boost they do make a super charger for that motor!!!!!

Chips work really well with turbo charged cars. A chip alters the ECU by changing the timing and air fuel mixture. A turbo car benifits largely because of the increased boost. I chiped a 4cyl Jetta once and really didnt feel any improvements. I now drive a turbo Audi (chipped) siginificant difference to say the least. My Audi gained 25-30 BHP where the normally aspraited Jetta only picked up 6-7 hp. Go with a new intake and exhaust.

Best of luck,

Beach

BTW,
The dealer can "flash" your ECU and remove your new software. Any problems you might run into in the future that could be traced to the chip WILL void the warranty. Just a heads up.

I see that they make a Venom 400 chip for Jeeps now. My brother had one installed on his rice eater and it really made a difference. In their add they are claiming 25%. Just a thought.
Vavs

Stsy away from "cold air" intakes and open air elements especially if you do a lot of offroading. They really do not help you but hurt you.

I've got an open K&N conical filter, protected by only a milkjug splashguard. Ya, it's real nice :lol: It gets covered in mud but hasn't been an issue.

If you believe 25% increase in performance from a chip, I've got some stock leaf springs for sale that'll add at least 10% :roll:

i've got some door uppers that will increase your fuel economy by 15 mpg

If you believe 25% increase in performance from a chip, I've got some stock leaf springs for sale that'll add at least 10%
I haven't heard of any reviews from Jeep folks on the chips so I'm guessing that they don't help much with the Jeep motors or many others would run them.
However, I have had experience with Powertech Programmers and performance chips in other vehicles that make a significant difference. The new model Chevy trucks can pick up quite a few horses and you get selectable shift points from the Powertech programmer in additon to being able to re-calibrate your speedo for changes in tire size (the engine and transmission are both controlled by the ECU). It even asks what gas you are using.
Diesels have the most improvement. A friend of mine put a 100 hp chip and 4" exhaust on his Super duty and it's freakin awesome. That thing will roast the 35's and pulls a trailer with a vengeance.
Do some research on them before you discard the idea. Quadratec doesn't give the stats on the Jet chips they sell. You may have to pull up the web site. It does however plug in-line between the harness and ECU.

Back