Pick Your Poison

sjo426

Now I'm sure this type of thread has floated around a time or two before but I would still like to hear some opinions.

I have accumulated quite a bit of "Jeep junk" over the years but now I want to make a solid good looking jeep.

What I have......
84 CJ7. Perfect body no rust on the frame. It has a Chevy 327 in it. No transmission mounted to it an no T-case. Radiator is not correct, clutch linkage not correct for the chevy, throttle linkage not there, so it is just a Jeep with a chevy motor sitting in it. I also have a World Class T-5 and Dana 300 T-case.

78 CJ7. Body and frame are good but the body is primer color. It has the 304 V8 with T150 and Dana 20. I think the transmission is shot. Runs ok but probably could be refreshed.

82 CJ7. Body is toast. Frame is good. No interior. Winshield, hood, and fenders are toast. It has the AMC 360 V8, Ford T-18 transmission, and Dana 20 T-case. It also has the Ford 8 inch rear end.

My plan right now is too yank the 360 out and have it and the T-18 rebuilt. Then put that stuff in the 84CJ7 (the best looking Jeep I own by far). That way I'm hoping to have less conversion type issues than continuing with the Chevy swap. Is this the best scenario? Is this cost effective?

And also if I do the above I think I should get a whole new wire harness. But which one do I get since the 84 originally had a 6 cyl and the 360 was never even in a CJ7. Would a wire harness for a CJ7 w/304 work?

Thanks!!

Before I got further in your post, I was thinking the 360/T18 combo in the 84. That would be a nice setup.

Is that T18 the one with the granny 1st gear (actually a T-18A)?

Can't help ya with the wiring harness choice... sorry.

Back