pilot bearing help!!!

ezwrangler

I am putting in a reman 4.0 in my 94YJ, but i am having some trouble with the pilot bearing (also replacing the clutch while Im at it). It looks like the pilot bearing (on my old engine) is seated in some sort of bushing at the rear of the crank, but the reman engine does not have this bushing. So when I went to put in the new clutch, the pilot bearing (which was included) did not fit into the rear of the new engine's crank...! The autoparts store did not show a bushing in their computers, and my Hanes manual is little help.

Can anyone help? Am I crazy here? Do I need to go to Chrysler to get this bushing? What about taking the old one? How do I get it out? Any other options?

Thanks

To remove the old bushing, you will need a "blind hole puller". I can check my FSM for you later tonight after work.

According to the the 1995 YJ FSM, you should have a roller bearing.

Is this what you have?

It shows that there are two different bearings. One for the four cylinder and one for the six cylinder.

It could be different from and 94 to a 95. It would be best if you check with the local dealer. Be sure and mention which transmission that you are mating up to the engine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks again shvlhd666.

Yes, it is a roller bearing (needle rollers), but what I cant seem to find easily is the bushing that the roller sits in - I guess it is also called a sleeve. I think they come together, but the auto parts stores only show the bearing alone for the 1994 4.0 6 cyl!?! I aslo called the Jeep dealer, and their parts folks were of little help. Anyway, I'm going to try to pull the old one with a blind-hole puller and re-use it.

Thanks

When engines are remaned, the assemblers pull parts from bins, sometimes the parts are different years. Unless you had someone reman your old engine I would suspect a different year crank. If you can get the old pilot out, get some measurements and see if you can't match it up.

Roller bearings are nice but if push comes to shove any good machinest can make you a brass bushing that will work just as well.
Someone that can read a micrometer, calipher & veneer loves these kind of challenges. He has to measure the diameter of the hole in the crank to determine the diameter width of the new bushing. He should make the bushing width diameter a little heavy +.002 so that it doesn't spin when its installed into the crank. Best fit is when you have to heat the crank with a torch a little & the bushing has been in the freezer overnight slap it in and when it comes to ambient temp that bushing isn't going anywhere.
The I.D. diameter should be a hair light .002 or .003 so that the nose of the trans spins freely. Don't forget to lube it up with some Grease and your in business!
This is the old fashioned tried & true also cheap method of coming up with a piolt bushing. It worked on the real Blown Chrysler (392) Hemi's, 409 Chevies etc. should be duck soup for a little Jeep motor!
Jim

60 Biscayne and Heydace - thanks!

As it turns out, Jeep does sell the sleeve. You just need to find the right parts guy. After calling around a little, a parts person at a jeep shop knew exactly what i needed. He gave me the jeep part number and i dialed the jeep dealer - an hour later i had the new roller bearing and sleeve in hand!

I got most of the stuff back on the engine, and it was married up to the transmission last night. Just need a few more hours and I should be ready to go!

Thanks again for your help!!!

EZWrangler

Back