Pitman arm angle/ Track bar

baldjohnny

Good morning- new 91 YJ owner and newbie to Jeepz. Would like to ask a question because I'm a little bit confused right now and potentially over-thinking this thing. Jeep has SOA 6" lift, seemed to be okay but looking closer has shown a few issues. It has a dropped Pitman arm, but the drag link is still at a fairly good angle to the axle (I would make a WAG at anywhere from a 20-30 degree angle, not much over that though). I have heard two trains of thought:
  1. The drag link needs to be almost parallel to the tie rods (which means I have some work to do!).
  2. As long as the drag link and the track bar are close to being parallel, having an angle on the drag link is not an issue.
How in the heck can you get that drag link at a more level angle with a SOA lift, especially one that high? New to this stuff, never really had to think steering geometry before!

Sorry to be so long winded, but any help would be appreciated!

Try this thread. It may or may not answer some of your thoughts and question but it will give you an idea..Oh and take note of the do's and don't 's, its a sore subject for some people who doesn't understand the word "Safety"...If you have any more questions after reading thru the post, feel free to ask some more..Welcome to Jeepz...

http://www.jeepz.com/forum/cj-yj-tj-jk/24572-spring-over-question.html

Thanks for the link, had a good laugh at the very last comment by Corrupt, that was classic.

I'm not into scary moments, so want to do this thing right. I have researched pitman arms online and they all appear to be the same drop as mine. I might even drop it down some to get a better angle. It looks cool, but looks don't get you down the road. Thanks for the reply.

Take off the trackbars, then you don't have to worry about its relation to the draglink.

Otherwise consider a highsteer setup, pricey for the D30 but you have a lot more options if you install a d44 front axle.

Take off the trackbars, then you don't have to worry about its relation to the draglink.

Otherwise consider a highsteer setup, pricey for the D30 but you have a lot more options if you install a d44 front axle.

I agree... every YJ that has been through my shop looses the factory track bar. I should point out that we are building them to work on the trail. With leaf springs a track bar is not that important as long as your spring busings are in good working order.

A high steer set up on a D30 in a YJ is very easy to do. I dont really want to try to sell a part here as I have not had time to get on here and pay the 10 bucks to be a vendor. I plan to very soon. If you want to remove this post because of that I completely understand.

Here is a link to the bolt on bracket we sell that was designed for Jeep YJ's. You will need to build an new tie rod and drag link using rod ends in order to use this bracket.

Dana 30 High Steer Knuckle for Jeep Wrangler (87-06) Blue Torch FabWorks, Inc.

image-missing.png

Back