Pitman arm removal

GaryMB

I just installed 3.5" of lift on my jeep, and am trying to remove the pitman arm (power steering) to install a dropped pitman arm. Now how the heck do you get this sucker off? I tried a puller but it just crunched on the end and slipped off.

stating the obvious. You removed the nut? Right? :wink:

I know for mine I added a little heat to the pitman arm before removing it

Yeah, the nut is off, I had to drive to about 4 hardware stores before I found a 1 5/16" socket for it. I tried heating the pitman arm with a torch for about 30 seconds, but had no luck...I was afraid to heat it too much in case it would damage the seals in the steering box.

Re: RE: safari bikini,duster,deck cover

Are you using a generic puller or a pitman arm puller? Did you soak it with Liquid Wrench and then hit it with a hammer (the vibes help the Liquid Wrench penetrate)

Not sure heat was a good idea... I think heat would swell it and maybe make it tighter.

if you are going to use a puller.. you NEED a pitman arm puller. it is a specially designed puller

i used a cut-off wheel, worked great

RE: MIX BEER & REDNECK, You get?

Slowly use the pitman arm puller to pull on the arm, as you are doing this, use a 5lb dead blow hammer (BFH can also work) and hit the arm in it. the steering box has a slight taper on it, and it is speced out to be held on there with 160 ft-lbs, so that son of a "B" is on there! this should pop it off! If not, you can use heat, but do not get too crazy with it!

RE: Will someone PLEASE buy me this??

Pitman arm puller and BFH has always worked good for me. Hosing it down with PB Blaster wouldn't hurt either.

Crank down the puller nice and snug, then hit the pitman arm where it's around the steering shaft, with the BFH hitting down at a 45º angle. Tighten, hit, repeat. It'll pop off.

If all else fails, cut with an angle grinder into the pitman arm where it's around the steering shaft, parallel with the shaft. Make a cut very close to the steering shaft, then you can pop the arm off by placing a chisel in the cut and hitting it.

If all else fails, cut with an angle grinder into the pitman arm where it's around the steering shaft, parallel with the shaft. Make a cut very close to the steering shaft, then you can pop the arm off by placing a chisel in the cut and hitting it.

It works well... I have pics of my mangled pitman somewhere

pitman arm puller sold at Autozone $12.00 or you can borrow one from them for free with a deposit
-D-

I was using a general puller, guess that's why i couldn't get it off. It's been soaking in liquid wrench for a while and my mechanic said he will loan me his pitman arm puller.

RE: Re: RE: Help i might be losing my jeep..

jps4jeep said:
Slowly use the pitman arm puller to pull on the arm, as you are doing this, use a 5lb dead blow hammer (BFH can also work) and hit the arm in it. the steering box has a slight taper on it, and it is speced out to be held on there with 160 ft-lbs, so that son of a "B" is on there! this should pop it off! If not, you can use heat, but do not get too crazy with it!

:lol: :lol:

That's exactly what I do when I have to take mine off. Great minds think a like. :wink:

Sully

PS - Plus lots of PB blaster!

can I remove EGR tube? (got new header)

mine come off easy.. soaked her in pb threw a gun on it and tightened it and then i gave up the wifey p'd me off one good hit with a bfh and all i heard was... PING! and wow that works lol

Back