Please take a look, any and all help is appreciated

Dittrich31

So basically ive been saving up for a new car and realized that i have so much time blood and tears in my baby it would kill me to see her go to some ass hole who is going to low ball me to death, that being said I have a little chuck of change to fix her up and want to know a few things before i go ahead and spend it.
Jeep specs: 95' jeep wrangler, 2.5 L, 2.5" suspension 3/4" shackel lift, 31x10.5x15 tires.

-well the first thing im doing is buying a new trans and clutch assembly, The synchros have been gone in 2nd since i bought her and its cheaper than a rebuild. Should I have anything checked out on the jeep before i do this?

-I want to remove the rear tracbar and replace the front with a JKS telescoping tracbar. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Is it safe to remove the rear trackbar?

-I would like some info on why regear. What should I experience if i regear to 4.88? Gas mileage, speed, overall power, exc

Thanks alot guys any help will be greatly appreciated, Id just like to get your expert opinions before i throw most of my savings in this project, I keep telling myself it will be worth it:lol:

The transmission you have is the AX5. Ya it probably would be cheaper to replace than rebuild. As far as checking other things are you trying to diagnose other problems or is the transmission the only problem?

The tracbar is total preference. Being that you have a leaf sprung-under rig and you are sitting on a 2.5" lift you probably wont even notice the rear being gone. The front is the same way. Take them off and run it without them for a while. See how you like it, you can always put them back on.

Gearing depends on what you want to do. If you are driving around town dont go any deeper than 4.10s with the 31s. With 3.73s at 65mph rpms are 2235. With 4.10s at 65mph rpms are 2460. I don't know the power band in that motor too well but gear to that. Maybe someone else could chime in on where that motor is happy.

Josh

the YJ jks trac bar is absolute junk. If it were me, and even for a daily driver YJ, I would just take both front and rear trac bars off. I took mine off back in the 90's and never looked back.

I would definately just replace the transmission, another option to increase the durabiilty, a 5 speed from a 22re equip toyota will also fit (aisin warner makes the transmissions for both jeep and tpypta) I do not recall the model number, but google search will be your friend.

I would definately regear to 4.88, thats the deepest you can go with a D35, if you were to swap out the rear axle you could go as deep as 5.38 if it's a 44.

Gearing depends on what you want to do. If you are driving around town dont go any deeper than 4.10s with the 31s. With 3.73s at 65mph rpms are 2235. With 4.10s at 65mph rpms are 2460. I don't know the power band in that motor too well but gear to that. Maybe someone else could chime in on where that motor is happy.
Josh
His jeep has 4.10 gears stock, with the 2.5L 5spd. The 2.5L likes high rev's, a LOT higher than the 4.0L, so 4.88 is the only way to go. 4.10 to 4.56 isn't enough of a noticeable change to justify the time and cost.

You will get a lot more power back after regearing, driveability will go up a lot. The engine will be back up in the powerband where it likes to be, instead of lugging at low RPM's.

I would just take both front and rear trac bars off. I took mine off back in the 90's and never looked back.
Is it safe to not have both? i thought it was not needed having one in the rear but wouldnt taking out the front tracbar cause axel to sway from side to side

His jeep has 4.10 gears stock, with the 2.5L 5spd. The 2.5L likes high rev's, a LOT higher than the 4.0L, so 4.88 is the only way to go. 4.10 to 4.56 isn't enough of a noticeable change to justify the time and cost.

You will get a lot more power back after regearing, driveability will go up a lot. The engine will be back up in the powerband where it likes to be, instead of lugging at low RPM's.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up.

I have the same year jeep! I also had the same prob with my transmission....the second gear synchro was bad especially when I down shifted! I replaced the gear oil with some synchromesh and it solved my problem! Amazing!
As far as the gears go hear is what i have learned!

1) Take your tire height and multiply it by pie(3.14)....This will give you your circumference.

31in X 3.14 = 97.34in

2) There are 63,360in in one mile! (5280 X 12) Take 63360 and divide it by your circumference! This will give you, your revolutions/mile

63360 / 97.34 = 650.9rev/mile

3) Now take your Rev/mile and multiply it by the gears you want to install. This will give you your rpm's in 4th gear at 60miles/hr

650.9 X 4.88 = 3176 ( stock is 2802)

If your overdrive is 75% .....so in 5th you would be at 2382....so you have nearly lost a gear. So what you were climbing in 4th you would be now climbing in 5th. I hope this helps in your decision because it did help me! Good luck!!!

I have the same year jeep! I also had the same prob with my transmission....the second gear synchro was bad especially when I down shifted! I replaced the gear oil with some synchromesh and it solved my problem! Amazing!
As far as the gears go hear is what i have learned!

1) Take your tire height and multiply it by pie(3.14)....This will give you your circumference.

31in X 3.14 = 97.34in

2) There are 63,360in in one mile! (5280 X 12) Take 63360 and divide it by your circumference! This will give you, your revolutions/mile

63360 / 97.34 = 650.9rev/mile

3) Now take your Rev/mile and multiply it by the gears you want to install. This will give you your rpm's in 4th gear at 60miles/hr

650.9 X 4.88 = 3176 ( stock is 2802)

If your overdrive is 75% .....so in 5th you would be at 2382....so you have nearly lost a gear. So what you were climbing in 4th you would be now climbing in 5th. I hope this helps in your decision because it did help me! Good luck!!!

Um i don't know about other people but that got me lost.....a gear chart is easyer..

the green is considered stock revs, yellow a little low and blue a little high. ya dont wanna be in the white

Attachments

• gearchart(1).jpg
    gearchart(1).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 152

I agree with the transmission part; it is not worthwhhile to rebuild the AX5.

As for the trackbar, when I removed the rear one, I did not notice it at all. No increase in roll during curves, no changes in driving manners, nothing. I currently run a JKS front one, but if I were to do it again, I would just remove the front as well. Keep in mind CJ's did not have either one, and the leafs were narrower than the YJ...

As for the gears, GO FOR IT! I had my Jeep with 31's, and LOVED IT when I changed to 4.88's! Nothing like being able to drive in 5th going up on overpasses against the wind... I would set up my cruise control (aftermarket!) at 65mph, and would not touch the accelerator, or have to shift until I got to my destination. The 2.5L LOVES high rev's, and I could cruise at 70mph no problems (revs would be a bit over 3K, which is fine for this little engine). Of course, since it drove SO nice with 4.88 and 31's, I decided to go to 33's, and while it's OK, I miss the torque I had with the 31's...

By the way, the above chart is for 4th gear, not 5th (OD), so keep that in mind. Oh, and mine is a '94 2.5L, so let me know if you have any questions, as I already lived through this...

Thanks alot these posts have helped clear up my worries, im buying the trans on wednesday along with a full clutch assembly. ive decided that the trackbars are going to go as well, and will regear once the girl friend stops yelling at me for how much MORE money ive put into my baby. Thanks again

and will regear once the girl friend stops yelling at me for how much MORE money ive put into my baby. Thanks again

Just be sure you correct that situation before you decide to upgrade from GF to wife; it only gets WORSE then! :roll:

Back