Possible Oil Pump Issue 04 WJ

SHollins88

I have an 04 Grand Cherokee Limited V8. For a couple weeks now when I go to start her up the check guages light is on and the oil guage is reading at low and the engine sounds a little "rough"; after about 30 seconds or so it goes up to a little above the middle line and the engine sounds fine again.

Two days ago I was driving home from work (it's about a 30 minute drive, mainly interstate) when all of a sudden the light came on, the needle on the oil guage was fluctuating between the low line and just past the middle line, until finally it stayed at low. At this point my engine was sounding horrible so I pulled off at the nearest exit ramp. I checked my fluids and it said that I was low on oil so I put in a quart just to see what it would do. I started her up and everything was fine so I continued home.

Within less than 10 minutes the guage started doing the same exact thing so I pulled off at another gas station and put in another quart of oil thinking maybe it was still low. The next morning I was headed to work and it happened all over again except now the oil level is reading too high so my poor Jeep has been sitting at a gas station for the second day in a row now as I am terrified to drive it anywhere in the fear that I will really cause some damage.

From what others have told me they think it could be the oil pump so I looked up prices for a new one and some directions on how to fix it, however I have no mechanical experience and it looks like a big job. I've called around to auto repair shops and so far one quoted me $1500 and 3+ days to fix it.

My question is if anyone agrees with it possibly being the oil pump or if maybe by any stroke of luck it could be something way cheaper/easier to fix. Also, if you've ever changed one are my thoughts correct in that it's going to be one big, messy job that I'm most likely going to screw up if I attempt it on my own?

:???:

Since yours is post 1996..... I would either find someone with a OBD2 scanner thing or get your own and see what kind of codes it gives you .....
Is this a gas station with a service area or a convenience store ? If it has a service dept they could probably scan it for you...

Just a thought...

[☠]lllllll[☠] 89 YJ ...SOA +6.5...44"Trxus' I Love my dirtYJeep! [☠]lllllll[☠]

Since yours is post 1996..... I would either find someone with a OBD2 scanner thing or get your own and see what kind of codes it gives you .....
Is this a gas station with a service area or a convenience store ? If it has a service dept they could probably scan it for you...

Just a thought...

Nope, no service area. And I live in the boonies so I'm limited on how many are nearby.

Do you know about how much those scanners cost?

Well, anywhere from 20. To 200+

The less expensive ones appear to provide the codes ... But require that you "look them up" elsewhere ( Internet/ smartphone app/ or CD included w/scanner / etc)

If you have an iPhone/pad/pod or an Android device, there are apps available that allow you to connect your device to your vehicle via cable or Bluetooth and the App acts as the scanner .... These too are pretty cheap...
There is a thread here on Jeepz with alot of info from members... But you probably need a combination of fast & cheap at this point;-)
Here is a link to Amazons listings
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse/ref=sr_tc_2_1?node=15707381&ie=UTF8&qid=1310669251&sr=8-2-tc

I would think any auto parts store would have @ least 1 model 4 sale... But they might be overpriced ... But to get it right away might justify the $$$

I would do an oil change before you really drive it anywhere so you don't have too little or too much oil. Too little could cause the parts to not get lubricated well enough and it would seize up, and if you have too much the crank shaft can act as a beater and whip up the oil putting too much air into it and breaking it down too fast. I would also see if you can get somewhere to hook up an oil pressure gauge to it so you can see exactly how much oil pressure you have.

Yes its a good idea to take the sending unit out and run in a mechanical oil pressure guage just to see. .you don't have to drive it just let it run and go through the rpms . . I did it with my 99 wj when I still had it. .although it was a 4.0 and only took a few minutes id say its more of a pain on the 4.7 because the lack of room or location. . Its a known problem although rare for the oil pump to go out in some wjs without warning. . Atleast its giving you a warning. .my 99 problem turned out to be sending unit but a cousin of mine had an 02 wj 4.7 and her pressure guage bottomed out, turned out it was just sending unit. .couple of weeks later it bottomed out again so she thought it was the sending unit again. .at 60 bucks a pop she decided to deal with the light, later that day goin down the road no knocks pings or anything her jeep cut off. Tow truck brought it to the house and motor was locked up. .oil pump was nearly fused together at teardown..also maybe try a motor flush. .could be sludge. . Iv never had any probs with my 04 wj knock on wood.

Thanks for all the advice. Turns out it was in desperate need for an oil and oil filter change. (As embarassing as it is to admit :eek: )

My husband wasn't changing the oil filter when he would change my oil so it had the same filter in it from March 2010. Whoops! Time for me to learn how to change my own oil! :p

I think your husband deserves a night or two on the couch for that one. Anytime you change the oil, always make sure you do the filter. It's only another 3-4 bucks.

Oil change and filter change go hand in hand. .its defeating the purpose not to do both. .they should ne considered all in the same process. .

Back