Problem...losing power going uphill/inclined roadways

jipsie

95 wrangler bogs down, give it gas and it starts chugging but doesn't cut out, just slows down. changed spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button and fuel filter. Exhaust is a little loose from manifold but someone mentioned fuel injector problem possibly. Should I clean the fuel injectors and if so, how? My manual doesn't explain...Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Sounds pretty typical of the 2.5L, does it occur even after downshifting to keep the RPMs high?

As for cleaning the injectors, I'd recommend having a shop do it. They typically disconnect the fuel line and run straight cleaner through the injectors.

My original thought was the catalytic converter but I'm short on money so thought I'd try some basic maintenance things first...air filter is pretty clean and haven't noticed any smoke at all...when downshifting it still bogs down but can get a little more speed.

Loosen up the catalytic converter flange bolts and then drive it. It will be loud but at least you can verify if that's what it is that's causing the issue. Make sure you create enough gap between the flange to let the exaust breath through.

Sounds like it could be a plugged converter or muffler. Have someone rev up the engine as your at the exhaust pipe outet feel the amount of air coming out if it is faint it could be plugged up in the exhaust somewheres or do as said befre unbolt the conveter berfore the converter.

Back